Barry's Jaeger Bomb 300 2nd September 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
On the waiting list; and now off the waiting list; and in, for tomorrow. Route.
Ephemera
Sunrise 0653 (after we start at 0630); sunset 1953 (as seen from the top of the Mendips??) with the waxing gibbous (87%) moon rising at 1759 to light us home.
And a bit of off road after the M4, if you want, and also a bit on offer on the Mendips: after Charterhouse at 281km go straight on (ie not left at cross roads) and right fork once on gravel track).

OP
OP
U

User482

On the waiting list; and now off the waiting list; and in, for tomorrow. Route.
Ephemera
Sunrise 0653 (after we start at 0630); sunset 1953 (as seen from the top of the Mendips??) with the waxing gibbous (87%) moon rising at 1759 to light us home.
And a bit of off road after the M4, if you want, and also a bit on offer on the Mendips: after Charterhouse at 281km go straight on (ie not left at cross roads) and right fork once on gravel track).
Your first alternative is ok (gravel track after the M4) but the second is pretty bumpy, if memory serves. And it will be dark.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thanks to Marcus and Kirsty for an excellent ride with perfect weather. Enjoyed the Fosse Way gravel section, feeling suitably bold as the gravel got deeper at the NE end.
After a quick stop to control at Poulton, coinciding with the 9am assembly of about 50 riders from soi disant Performance Cycles, I enjoyed a quiche and a pint of milk from Lidl Amesbury (second control) before cutting through the Woodfords to the lovely Wylye valley, riding the latter in company with a 'fixed rider'. Stopped off to say hello to a friend who lives in Corton on the road NW of Wylye village. Onwards through Sutton Veny, Longbridge Deverill and Maiden Bradley to Alfred's Tower, above the Stourhead estate. I was due to stop for tea with a friend who lives just below the tower when, descending the wooded Kingsettle Hill at speed (?40kph) my front tyre blew (new on for LEL so about 2300km on it, the rear had another 1000 on it from Mille Pennines) and braking on a deflated front tyre didn't do it, and I lost it (together with any memory after the action of braking and keeping as straight as possible). Others in a group mostly from Stonehouse were right behind me and all I remember was being asked if I had a preference between Bath and Yeovil hospitals - I chose Yeovil (and went there by road (thanks to the air ambulance for attending too)). CT Scan and X-rays in A&E etc before transfer to ICU. Two days in ICU was enough - the punctured lung was stable and the various rib and shoulder blade fractures will apparently heal themselves. Discharged Monday evening and now back home generally sore, battered, grazed and weak but will get better. Thanks to my fellow riders for calling the ambulance quickly, for agreeing to let a local (Derrick) take charge of my bike (which is fine apart from a punctured front tyre and a bit of scratching to the Brooks saddle and STIs - but I have not yet seen it - in non-driving/riding mode for a while), and for taking my saddle and top tube bags and GPS off my bike and sending them with me in the ambulance (NB really good practice; they even put one of my glass's lenses in). I hope the my fellow riders were not too delayed on their ride, that my crash did not "spoil [their] ride" and that they enjoyed another 5 hours of excellent riding (we had taken 8:10 for the 200km so far). Sorry to have missed the ride over the Mendips, which would have been in daylight btw (@User482 ). My quest to get to 50 AUK points looks as if it will be unrequited, this year anyway, as I shall be unable to ride for at least a month. Hey ho! When I recover my bike I shall ride the hill and try to see where I came off. When I think of the hills I've been down this year, Alfred's one is pretty innocuous (100m drop in a kilometre).

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User482

Thanks to Marcus and Kirsty for an excellent ride with perfect weather. Enjoyed the Fosse Way gravel section, feeling suitably bold as the gravel got deeper at the NE end.
After a quick stop to control at Poulton, coinciding with the 9am assembly of about 50 riders from soi disant Performance Cycles, I enjoyed a quiche and a pint of milk from Lidl Amesbury (second control) before cutting through the Woodfords to the lovely Wylye valley, riding the latter in company with a 'fixed rider'. Stopped off to say hello to a friend who lives in Corton on the road NW of Wylye village. Onwards through Sutton Veny, Longbridge Deverill and Maiden Bradley to Alfred's Tower, above the Stourhead estate. I was due to stop for tea with a friend who lives just below the tower when, descending the wooded Kingsettle Hill at speed (?40kph) my front tyre blew (new on for LEL so about 2300km on it, the rear had another 1000 on it from Mille Pennines) and braking on a deflated front tyre didn't do it, and I lost it (together with any memory after the action of braking and keeping as straight as possible). Others in a group mostly from Stonehouse were right behind me and all I remember was being asked if I had a preference between Bath and Yeovil hospitals - I chose Yeovil (and went their by road (thanks to the air ambulance for attending too)). CT Scan and X-rays in A&E etc before transfer to ICU. Two days in ICU was enough - the punctured lung was stable and the various rib and shoulder blade fractures will apparently heal themselves. Discharged Monday evening and now back home generally sore, battered, grazed and weak but will get better. Thanks to my fellow riders for calling the ambulance quickly, for agreeing to let a local (Derrick) take charge of my bike (which is fine apart from a punctured front tyre and a bit of scratching to the Brooks saddle and STIs - but I have not yet seen it - in non-driving/riding mode for a while), and for taking my saddle and top tube bags and GPS off my bike and sending them with me in the ambulance (NB really good practice; they even put one of my glass's lenses in). I hope the my fellow riders were not too delayed on their ride, that my crash did not "spoil [their] ride" and that they enjoyed another 5 hours of excellent riding (we had taken 8:10 for the 200km so far). Sorry to have missed the ride over the Mendips, which would have been in daylight btw (@User482 ). My quest to get to 50 AUK points looks as if it will be unrequited, this year anyway, as I shall be unable to ride for at least a month. Hey ho! When I recover my bike I shall ride the hill and try to see where I came off. When I think of the hills I've been down this year, Alfred's one is pretty innocuous (100m drop in a kilometre).

That's awful, GWS. As I descended from the tower, a man was standing in the road telling me to stop - it was the paramedic and you were being loaded in as we walked past. I'm not a fan of that descent - overhanging trees, poor surface, poor sight lines and a narrow road make it pretty risky.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thanks @User482 and @Dogtrousers . The road west from Alfred's Tower seemed fine to me as I started down it (and I think I've been down there before) and consider I was in complete control, but until I go back I will not be able to make a decent objective assessment. I would like to know what made my tyre go (I was not braking much) and examination of the tube (idc - bike is now with the friend I was going to have tea with) will probably not shed much evidence on that. Hey ho! After 25,000km I guess statistics caught up with me, but I'd much prefer they didn't/hadn't. At least it was early in the month so if I can heal well, who knows if I can't keep the 100s going by a ride in late October :pump:.

Spartak