Base layers: in praiseof merino

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I had to look that up. Another thing to worry about.

Maybe next one should be bamboo so I don't have to worry about sheeps' bottoms. But bamboo probably causes deforestation or something.

Sadly everything we do has an impact and it's just trying to do the best we can. Bamboo clothing has a number of issues when it comes to sustainability, there is the worry over deforestation because a lot of the bamboo is sourced from China and is not regulated to a massive extent. Then there is the issue of producing the clothing, which uses some nasty chemical processes and in some cases the resultant clothing is barely Bamboo at all.

https://goodonyou.eco/bamboo-fabric...or shopper to,as the unprocessed bamboo plant.

One of the other positives of Merino, especially when it comes to the environment, is the fact that it doesn't need washing so often and when you do wash it, it doesn't leach micro plastics like synthetic fibres. It really does have a great resistance to odour creation and I can easily spend three days cycling in the same T-shirt in high summer without odours or discomfort.

yello

I've been wearing merino base layers (Icebreaker) for near on 15 years (obviously not continuously) and never had a problem with itching. Reckon yous all must be making it up!

Nah, probably something like what @Tail End Charlie says above. Love the stuff. It'll be a sad day for me when I have to bin them.

As with many things, there's merino and there's merino. Merino from say, Planet X, will be far rougher and hence itchy than stuff from say, Finisterre. But one is a lot more than the other. I'm sure there'll be a thread count per square whatever and the higher the better.
Bamboo isn't bad, but I prefer merino. Synthetic just stinks.
A merino top is a birthday present to myself every so often.

100% superfine merino is not really itchy. I got the NZ stuff when it was good. A lot is now mixed superfine and fine grades which is coarser and more itchy.

The smell of dirty clothes is caused by bacteria. They cannot grow well on wool.

mustang1

Guru
I've been wearing merino base layers (Icebreaker) for near on 15 years (obviously not continuously) and never had a problem with itching. Reckon yous all must be making it up!

Nah, probably something like what @Tail End Charlie says above. Love the stuff. It'll be a sad day for me when I have to bin them.

Yeah, Icebreaker and Endura Baa Baa is how I roll. In the past I've worn merino base layer for 5 days cycling and while I got sweaty, hanging it up to dry left an odour free garment ready for use.

I've been a merino fan for many years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom