Base of Spine injury.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rollon

I was knocked down by a car 11days ago, whilst walking to the shops at a road junction on our estate. I say knocked down, I was actually Cartwheeled across the bonnet and along its side colliding with the windscreen side strut, and door mirror on the way.
My injuries are bruised/fractured ribs, head briusing, bruised Forearm with laceration near elbow requiring 6 stitches, whiplash, but the main injury is to my buttocks area that took the initial impact with the road surface.
Obviously I can't cycle run or work at the moment and walking can be very painful in itself.
Apart from going straight to A&E by Ambulance, I have seen my GP and been back to A&E since. I am now on and nearly finished a course of Dicoflenac, which generally eases the pain but I still get really acute pain when stepping up and sometimes climbing the stairs.
I am desperate to get back to work as being self employed with bills to meet, I have no income when not working.
The docs tell me that I have deep bruising where the Gluteus Maximus muscles join the Sacrum. They say the Sacrum is possibly slightly cracked but as like with broken ribs there is nothing they can do, there is no need to X-ray.
What I need to know is when is this acute pain likely to subside so I can get moving and working again.
I usually very good at handling pain, a few years ago I tripped whilst running fast and landed on a tree root on my chest, which broke three ribs right next to my Sternum. I didn't have any time off work as I was fitting out two houses with carpets at the time. I just put up with the pain and discomfort which took about five weeks to settle.
Anyone with any answers?
Dave.

ventoux50

They say there is no need to X-Ray ........ WHAT ?

Are the docs down your way equipped with X-ray specs ?

After the collision you describe I would say that you should be x-rayed as a matter of course, you could have cracked bones all over the hip/ pelvis area, not to mention the possibility of an 'open book' fracture of the pelvis.

Don't mess about - go straight back to A & E and lay it on thick about the pain, inability to walk up/down stairs etc. . . . . . insist on an x-ray !

OP
OP
R

Rollon

Well its over 7 weeks since my 'accident'. Back at work and most things have settled down apart from some residual soreness at the base of my spine and Ribs.
Being keen to regain lost fitness I purchased a turbo trainer.
Last Saturday I spent an hour on it, with medium resistance. The first full 30 minutes after a short warm up I gave it some constant welly, then did some intervals for the remaining 30 minutes finishing with a five minute warm down.
Drop bars felt a fair bit of a stretch, probably because with my recovery my back isn't back to normal flexibility. Anyway I perservered.
Result of which is, the next day Sunday in the afternoon my back went into spasm and has been giving my gip since. I struggled working on Monday and couldn't work Tuesday and Wednesday. Only resorting to Diazapam has got me working today.
Whilst on the trainer I felt fine apart from being somewhat stretched out, obviously I over did things.
Has anyone had any similar problems using turbo trainers?
Dave.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i hope you are writing all this down for your claim! you can claim for loss of earnings too. make sure you keep a record of everything. and if you have not instigated proceedings, why not? if you can't afford a solicitor get one that's "no win no fee". some one them don't even take the fee out of your compensation now, they claim it separately.

OP
OP
R

Rollon

i hope you are writing all this down for your claim! you can claim for loss of earnings too. make sure you keep a record of everything. and if you have not instigated proceedings, why not? if you can't afford a solicitor get one that's "no win no fee". some one them don't even take the fee out of your compensation now, they claim it separately.

Yeah, I am keeping notes of everything, but my Solicitor (One used by CTC) doesn't need these details until the other parties insurance accept or deny liability. They have just refused the new three week ruling on going one way or the other as they say they are still investigating. This means they now have the remainder of 3 months to accept or deny. Only then, providing they accept liability, can the claim for loss of earnings, pain & suffering, expenses and inconvenience be assessed. Oh, and Ive got a medical on 7th April.
Dave.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS once they do/don't accept liability, don't expect a quick sort out, even if liability accepted. The person that hit me accepted liability within a couple of weeks, bike/kit damage paid for within 6 weeks.... long lasting body injury - 28 months so far - looking like 3 years.

I do hope the driver admits responsibility - I assume you were already part way across ?

Trainers are the best form of getting back, as you aren't subject to road abuse/vibration etc.

I've just got my shoulder fixed from incident mentioned above....did one session on the turbo, did eveything to get shoulder moving, spoke to physio.... can I ride... erm yes..so long as you don't fall off and ride the 'bouncy' MTB on road.... did 1 MTB ride then got the road bike out.... and took it easy........

Stick with the turbo with your injury, if it's causing an issue ease off - your body isn't ready yet.

Top Bottom