Bash hats; to wear or not to wear - ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I'll simply put this point into the boiler, which incidentally was suggested to me by a NON cyclist - !
If you had the risk of contracting a potentially crippling illness, but by simply taking a drug on a daily basis would considerably reduce the likelihood of you contracting said illness, would you take the drug - ?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
:popcorn:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Yes. And if that argument directly confirmed to the helmet argument it would be easy.

Ask your friend if someone told them they could take a drug every day that someone said would reduce their chance of a crippling disease but had no proof at all to back that up, and also some of their test subjects suffered horrible skin diseases which might or might not be related would they take it?

If they say 'yes' tic tacs are three for a pound at Poundland, stop when they've paid £80 (£220 if they like Triathlon).

screenman

Legendary Member
I do not take malaria tablets whilst in the UK. I do wear a helmet though when on the bike, through choice.

Lets put it another way?

If there was the risk of contracting a potentially crippling illness, but by simply taking a drug on a daily basis would considerably reduce the likelihood of contracting said illness, would you recommend the drug to ALL those who would benefit, or decide that 90% of the population didn't need to reduce their likelihood and only give it to a minority?

If you had the risk of contracting a potentially crippling illness, but by simply taking a drug on a daily basis that was not actually proven to reduce the likelihood of you contracting said illness, and may have significant adverse side effects ..... would you take the drug - ?

The question is a biased, and ridiculous red herring that has no place in the helmet debate

What if you were told that walking for 1/2 an hour a day could

• Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
  • Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
  • Improve blood lipid profile
  • Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
  • Enhance mental well being
  • Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
  • Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
  • Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
Would you do it? Answer is, on average across the UK, "no"

numbnuts

Legendary Member
What if you were told that walking for 1/2 an hour a day could

• Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
  • Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
  • Improve blood lipid profile
  • Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
  • Enhance mental well being
  • Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
  • Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
  • Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
Would you do it? Answer is, on average across the UK, "no"
Is that with or without a helmet

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you were told that stopping smoking could reduce the risk of cancer and stopping drinking alcohol could reduce the risk of liver disease, and there is rock solid proof.......

Who started this bloody thread?

My New Years resolution is not to start any helmet threads. Even ones under some ridiculous guise.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you were told that stopping smoking could reduce the risk of cancer and stopping drinking alcohol could reduce the risk of liver disease, and there is rock solid proof.......

Who started this bloody thread?

My New Years resolution is not to start any helmet threads. Even ones under some ridiculous guise.
I still drink too much, still smoke and wouldn't wear a 'colander' on my head whilst cycling.
A simple fall at work and I broke my Femur which could easily have killed me...................But I was wearing a Hi-Viz top and safety (steel toe capped) boots.

screenman

Legendary Member
I still drink too much, still smoke and wouldn't wear a 'colander' on my head whilst cycling.
A simple fall at work and I broke my Femur which could easily have killed me...................But I was wearing a Hi-Viz top and safety (steel toe capped) boots.

At least for most of that you had choice, which I hope we can hang onto.

Although I wear a helmet whilst cycling and would not be sorry to see smoking banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom