Basic commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eemike

Hi everyone! Please excuse the lengthy post...

I'm looking for a basic commuter bike to use in London. I hope to use it for getting around the city in general so I need something that could be locked in most places without worrying too much. I know that a good lock is essential but I think that the bike shouldn't stand out in the first place.

I visited the local bike shops and tried out these bikes:

Specialized Sirrus Int (£350). Nice ride but I think that it's way too nickable...

Giant Escape 3 (£295). Quite nice. I think I would prefer to be a bit more upright but I suppose I can change the stem if it bothers me. The gears didn't work exactly well but I suppose this is down to adjustment.

Trek 7.1 fx (£380). Felt a bit too small in 20in but the next size up is 22.5in and the shop guy said that would be too large. Besides I think it's overpriced with essentially the same components as the Giant.

Ridgeback Velocity (£399). Quite nice. I like the adjustable stem. The only problem I can think of is that there's no chainguard on the crank and the LBS said it's usually difficult to find one.

(I was quite surprised that I'm 21' on Giant and 19' on Ridgeback, but both bikes seem to fit ok and one LBS said it's just that different brands size their bikes differently. Although I tried them in different shops so it would be difficult to tell the difference.)

So I think I will be deciding between Giant and Ridgeback. The Ridgeback seems to have better components but the Giant is quite a lot cheaper. So I think that I'll pick the one that's less nickable, as this is what I'm worried about... especially after reading on Guardian about people being mugged for their bikes :sad:

I think that Giant has quite a nice-looking hydroformed frame which worries me because this could be recognised instantly. The Ridgeback has a bit better components but I suppose a bunch of youths wouldn't be able to notice this quickly enough while the bike is moving. You might think I'm paranoid but coming from a nice and peaceful place the crime in this country and London in particular is just scary.

So here's my question: which is less likely to attract the wrong type of attention: Giant Escape 3 or Ridgeback Velocity? Or maybe I should be looking at getting something cheap from the nearby Halfords? I also looked into buying used but I don't want to end up with a bike that's been stolen from someone else.

battered

Guru
If you want a cheapie commuter there is the thread on the Muddy Fox Flux Hybrid on this page. £140, looks OK.

OP
OP
E

eemike

If you want a cheapie commuter there is the thread on the Muddy Fox Flux Hybrid on this page. £140, looks OK.

Thanks for reply! I checked that thread and the bike looks reasonable - the only problem is that I read on this forum or another that anything not assembled by a decent LBS won't be roadworthy... A friend tried to convince me to go the used route - how do you tell if the bike was stolen or not? Asking for the frame number might seem a bit rude, like you're contacting someone and being suspicious from the beginning.

battered

Guru
How do you imagine that a bike has to be assembled by a LBS to be roadworthy? That's nonsense.

Re theft, if you want to be really sure, only buy a bike with its original documentation from the original buyer. Next rung down is to talk to them. How long have they had it, where did they buy it, what parts does it have, what have they used it for - if you smell a rat walk away.

The frame no is nearly useless, I don't know mine, and nobody has a register of stolen numbers.

OP
OP
E

eemike

Most bikes come pretty much fully assembled, i think you need to stick pedals and straighten the handle bars and thats is it.

Check out the decathlon range of bikes, very good value for money .
http://www.decathlon.../bikes-3962299/

I am not sure what sort you want so how about?

http://www.decathlon...12/#INFO-DETAIL

I don't think I'm after a suspension bike but I found this rigid hybrid on Decathlon:
http://www.decathlon...45-48-69567261/

Looks interesting. How are the grip shifters in practice? The price is close to that Giant so I'm not sure about value but the bike certainly looks less attractive (that's a good thing).

How do you imagine that a bike has to be assembled by a LBS to be roadworthy? That's nonsense.

Well, I just read this when I started looking at bikes:
http://www.whycycle....uy_a_bike_from/
and threads on cycling forums seemed to say the same thing, warning people of the BSO...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
IMO as long as you don't have very large hands they are fine.

I used grip shifters for years and they are fine.

The other decathlon looks fine.

Do not confuse looking less attractive with how much chance your bike has of being stolen , good locks and finding something good to chain the bike to are the best defense .A thief will generally go for something that is easier to steal .

My bike is either in a locked garage chained to the wall or at work it is kept in the bike shed with at least 2 good locks on next to many bikes that have cable locks you can chew through with your teeth ......

OP
OP
E

eemike

I guess at home isn't such a big problem and at work I have reasonably secure parking. But I go to meetings in other places as well.

Those Decathlon bikes look ok but I wonder what happens if after all the time the two LBS wasted on my test rides I bring the Decathlon and ask them to service it. Will they be ok with it?

I was leaning towards the Ridgeback but then I think that the Sirrus is both nicer and cheaper. But then again it just looks too good.

Where are the days when bikes used to be simple and all look the same?

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Just back from my LBS where a colleague asked me to go with him to pick up his new bike. It's a Trek 7200 that he plans on using for commuting. Now, being the hardcore, muddy, grizzled MTB'er that I am I have no use for hybrids...

But that is actually a damn fine bike. Well made, light but sturdy, decent enough Shimano groupset. Front suspension, and seatpost suspension. Took it for a quick spin and I really like it....

Would something like that be on your radar?

OP
OP
E

eemike

Just back from my LBS where a colleague asked me to go with him to pick up his new bike. It's a Trek 7200 that he plans on using for commuting. Now, being the hardcore, muddy, grizzled MTB'er that I am I have no use for hybrids...

But that is actually a damn fine bike. Well made, light but sturdy, decent enough Shimano groupset. Front suspension, and seatpost suspension. Took it for a quick spin and I really like it....

Would something like that be on your radar?

I've seen some MTBs in one LBS but I don't think that's what I'm after. Besides, this Trek is over my budget (I'm aiming for up to 350 pounds which the Ridgeback stretches a little).

How about Carrera Subway hybrids from Halfords? Maybe they weigh a bit more than the nice bikes but if they're robust then maybe I should consider one of those?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The subway is a great bike , i had one for a few years and it lasted through all weathers .

I sold mine as i preferred to ride road bikes, i wish i had kept it as a winter bike now :angry:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would go for a Giant over a Ridgeback and don't worry about the sizes, Giant's come up small (oh the irony), eg. I am not exactly tall at 5'9" but my Giant MTB is a 20". I would be more like an 18" in virtually all other brands of MTB.

Good Luck :becool:

OP
OP
E

eemike

The subway is a great bike , i had one for a few years and it lasted through all weathers .

I sold mine as i preferred to ride road bikes, i wish i had kept it as a winter bike now :angry:

What's the riding position like on the Subway? I really liked the upright feel of the Sirrus.

I'm thinking of asking the LBS to get the cheaper Ridgeback Comet for me, but also staring dreamily at pictures of the Sirrus
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom