New commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I am considering using cycle to work scheme for a new commuter. I have always liked the look of Planet X London Road and am also keen on a Kinesis R1. Any others that are similar to the above that I should be considering? Around 1600 maximum. There are probably hundreds of similar ilk, but a recommendation would be welcome and if several of you alight on the same one then it’s got to be good right?

vickster

Legendary Member
The London Road is a very good option for commuting, will take rack, full mudguards, reasonable pricing, check they take your C2W scheme.
I always liked Whyte bikes, they have road/gravel options, what do your local bike shops have for you to try?

Alex321

Veteran
Well the Kinesis is cheaper (£1600 shown on the kinesis site, but most places seem to be selling for around £1300).

But teh PLanet X is titatium, while the Kinesis is Alloy

They seem tio have identical groupsets.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do they not do the alu LR anymore?
Friend of mine has the Ti one, loves it. Bargain on sale a couple of years ago for £999 with 1x hydraulic Rival :ohmy:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Probably irrelevant given your stipulations, but in my choice would be a used steel tourer.

Not as fancy on paper but £500 would get you something decent / still cost you less than using C2W at those prices; while the saving from C2W will likely be more than wiped out after a year's depreciation.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Probably irrelevant given your stipulations, but in my choice would be a used steel tourer.

Not as fancy on paper but £500 would get you something decent / still cost you less than using C2W at those prices; while the saving from C2W will likely be more than wiped out after a year's depreciation.

I totally agree that would be sensible option. I have had second hand bikes for years, just that I am now thinking I might treat myself to a new one!

Worth checking of prior year specialized diverge range. I run one with 38c tyres, mudguards and racks and it comes with helitape to protect the scratch prone areas as standard.

The e5 comes with Claris which is functional, cheap to repair/renew and 16 gears is suffice for a commuter bike.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
The London Road is a very good option for commuting, will take rack, full mudguards, reasonable pricing, check they take your C2W scheme.
I always liked Whyte bikes, they have road/gravel options, what do your local bike shops have for you to try?

Seems like Trek bikes mostly near me. There is also a Giant I think.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Worth checking of prior year specialized diverge range. I run one with 38c tyres, mudguards and racks and it comes with helitape to protect the scratch prone areas as standard.

The e5 comes with Claris which is functional, cheap to repair/renew and 16 gears is suffice for a commuter bike.

Good call. I just remembered a mate has one of these and is very pleased with it. I will add it to the list possibles.

wafter

I totally agree that would be sensible option. I have had second hand bikes for years, just that I am now thinking I might treat myself to a new one!

Fair enough :smile:

Another angle to consider - depending on how precious you are about your gear - is that something used / already sub-perfect might be less of a mental burden as an all-weather utility ride.

I bought my (new) Genesis as a utilitarian jack-of-all-trades, only to find I was too prissy to leave it locked up anywhere so ended up buying my cheap project Fuji as a shopping hack.. of course not everyone shares this mindset.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
My choice for a 24km commute mostly on farm roads was the The Light Blue Robinson V2 Sora R3000 with the full length mudguards and the PD-8/B+M dynamo lighting options.
Even with a rear carrier the RRP is in the price range.
Please keep in mind that it has QR axles (which matched one of my criteria - ycmv).

E.

Love this. Especially in the green colour! Though it would be difficult not to have a red bike! I am a sucker for the ‘red ones go faster’ rule…

wafter

https://upcyclemcf.co.uk/product/crosslight-five-t/.
This is a good deal for someone wanting a cheap commuter.

The Ad said:
Road bikes are designed to take you as far and as fast as your legs can manage. The road bike gets its name from the terrain it is designed to be used on – the road. Modern bikes are faster, more comfortable and more technologically sophisticated than ever before.

From the brakes and tyres, isn't it a CX bike..?

Top Bottom