Low maintenance winter commuter (with belt drive)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
May as well ask in this thread I started.

The Boardman Urb 8.6 is good.

Wondering if I can raise the handlebars? Don't think I can. See attached pic. It has the three spacers below so I gather it could be reduced in height but this is the maximum height I think it could go. Would you agree? Its not too bad but ideally would be a bit higher.

I need to sort out mudguards and rack next. Might just swap them from my other bike. Never done mudguards before. I know they can be a right pain but if I do keep old bike for a summer bike it would be a right faf to do that swap again in summer. The swap would be worthwhile if I sell old bike and just have Boardman for an all year bike.

If I do keep both bikes will probably just buy a new set of everything in which case I am thinking if just letting the bike shop do the installation. I did go into Halfords and it would be about £130 to get mudguards, rack and two marathon plus tyres all fitted.

Finally, the guy in Halfords (I know they are not well regarded by many), when asked about taking the back wheel off admitted he would also struggle and would pass it on to their most experienced mechanic. He advised me not to attempt it and just bring it in if needed. Bit worried about getting a puncture on the road and it being a major pain. How hard is it really? I gather the gear cable runs through it. Would like to work it out before I need to do it roadside in the rain when I am late for work.

That can't go higher. The top bolt isn't holding anything, don't do it.

That's about right from Halfords.

Possibly cheaper to buy online and fit yourself, but if you're not sure how then they're a good option.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That can't go higher. The top bolt isn't holding anything, don't do it.

That's about right from Halfords.

Possibly cheaper to buy online and fit yourself, but if you're not sure how then they're a good option.

Looking at the picture there's not even a bolt or top plate fitted ?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
May as well ask in this thread I started.

The Boardman Urb 8.6 is good.

Wondering if I can raise the handlebars? Don't think I can. See attached pic. It has the three spacers below so I gather it could be reduced in height but this is the maximum height I think it could go. Would you agree? Its not too bad but ideally would be a bit higher.

I need to sort out mudguards and rack next. Might just swap them from my other bike. Never done mudguards before. I know they can be a right pain but if I do keep old bike for a summer bike it would be a right faf to do that swap again in summer. The swap would be worthwhile if I sell old bike and just have Boardman for an all year bike.

If I do keep both bikes will probably just buy a new set of everything in which case I am thinking if just letting the bike shop do the installation. I did go into Halfords and it would be about £130 to get mudguards, rack and two marathon plus tyres all fitted.

Finally, the guy in Halfords (I know they are not well regarded by many), when asked about taking the back wheel off admitted he would also struggle and would pass it on to their most experienced mechanic. He advised me not to attempt it and just bring it in if needed. Bit worried about getting a puncture on the road and it being a major pain. How hard is it really? I gather the gear cable runs through it. Would like to work it out before I need to do it roadside in the rain when I am late for work.

You can fit various riser stems to get the bars higher eg here https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems-accessories/

But as others have noted, you do realise there's a cap and safety critical bolt missing?

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Oh yeah, I removed them temporarily whilst working out if I could raise the handlebars.

Will see how I get on, may look at the stem risers linked if need be. Ta

Top Bottom