Low maintenance winter commuter (with belt drive)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Looking at a cube Hyde race and Canyon Commuter 6 as examples.

They are a bit pricey but may be second hand is doable.

Any other alternatives that will be low maintenance for canal towpath/cycleways in all weathers. Needs mudguard and rack mounting points.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking at a cube Hyde race and Canyon Commuter 6 as examples.

They are a bit pricey but may be second hand is doable.

Any other alternatives that will be low maintenance for canal towpath/cycleways in all weathers. Needs mudguard and rack mounting points.

Single speed like a second hand charge plug or similar?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For canal, unless tarmac, you'll need tyres for tread to deal with mud. Definitely belt drive if it's going to be filthy, if not, then gears/single speed, but with room for grippy tyres and guards.

The canal dirt eat's drive chains (been there).

I wanted to go belt drive for my commuter for the same reason. Finally i couldn’t find what I wanted for my budget so went with a classic chain drive. Yes i oil it, yes i clean it and yes I’ll have more parts to replace but that does give me an interest in the bike and makes me keep on top of it’s overall maintenance.

I oil the chain every week, once a month or so i fully clean the drive train and bike and i reckon I’ll get around 8-10km out of a chain based on what I’ve done so far. My bike is used 365 so in all conditions but on the road.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Some interesting options. I would want to have at least a couple of minutes test ride really (cannot imagine buying a bike without trying it).

Are any of these sold at Halfords/Evans? Went to Evans last week and asked if they had any single speeds in stock. They had none, said it was 'a bit niche for us'. Suppose most ebayers would let you have a go first but maybe they insist they hold the cash.

This is local to me but a bit expensive for second hand being about 70% of the brand new shop price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175996676619

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Forgot about Decathlon. Yes, could be any shop that would have stock of something like those mentioned in this thread that I could have a test ride first.

I wanted to go belt drive for my commuter for the same reason. Finally i couldn’t find what I wanted for my budget so went with a classic chain drive. Yes i oil it, yes i clean it and yes I’ll have more parts to replace but that does give me an interest in the bike and makes me keep on top of it’s overall maintenance.

I oil the chain every week, once a month or so i fully clean the drive train and bike and i reckon I’ll get around 8-10km out of a chain based on what I’ve done so far. My bike is used 365 so in all conditions but on the road.

Switch to a drip wax like Squirt. I switched to it on my commuter so I could get on and off of busy commuter train without having to worry about oil. It seems a lot less of a hassle in the prep than dry wax. A simple degrease of my chain the first time (I used peaty foaming degreaser) and simple wipe down and relube occasionally after that. I've been very impressed with the results. My bike is used 99.9% on road but I have explored bridlepaths when it has been dry for weeks (I don't think I'll be doing tat again this year 🌧️ ). I use lighter drip wax on my good road bike and tt bikes but after a really long wet ride it start showing signs of ugly surface rust; Squirt doesn't have that problem and I use it on my gravel bike chain too.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Something like this from Tredz/Halfords
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Boardman-URB-8-6-2023-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_228755.htm
Getting a testride could be a challenge tho. Might find one to sit on

Ended up bidding on one of these and won. £150 (only bid) which is great and 'only ridden a couple of times' but haven't they all. Looks very good condition in pics. Need to get some mudguards and a rack on it once I have collected it. Will probably change the pedals and put some marathon plus on too.

Need to work out things like how to get the back wheel off if I get a puncture (never had hub gear before) and can the chain slip inside the hub? Want to be self sufficient really if something like this happens halfway home. Don't want to be stuck in limbo ten miles from home in the rain.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
May as well ask in this thread I started.

The Boardman Urb 8.6 is good.

Wondering if I can raise the handlebars? Don't think I can. See attached pic. It has the three spacers below so I gather it could be reduced in height but this is the maximum height I think it could go. Would you agree? Its not too bad but ideally would be a bit higher.

I need to sort out mudguards and rack next. Might just swap them from my other bike. Never done mudguards before. I know they can be a right pain but if I do keep old bike for a summer bike it would be a right faf to do that swap again in summer. The swap would be worthwhile if I sell old bike and just have Boardman for an all year bike.

If I do keep both bikes will probably just buy a new set of everything in which case I am thinking if just letting the bike shop do the installation. I did go into Halfords and it would be about £130 to get mudguards, rack and two marathon plus tyres all fitted.

Finally, the guy in Halfords (I know they are not well regarded by many), when asked about taking the back wheel off admitted he would also struggle and would pass it on to their most experienced mechanic. He advised me not to attempt it and just bring it in if needed. Bit worried about getting a puncture on the road and it being a major pain. How hard is it really? I gather the gear cable runs through it. Would like to work it out before I need to do it roadside in the rain when I am late for work.

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_131124439.jpg
    IMG_20231120_131124439.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom