Commuter / Winter Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
I want a commuting bike that can double up as a winter trainer, essentials are;

- Disc brakes
- Mudguard mounts
- Rack Mounts
- Drop Bar

I think I'm between;

Genesis Croix de fer 20
1697017388744.png

1697017401209.png

Ribble CGR AL
1697017300035.png

Genesis appeals because of the steel frame mainly and the brand.

Ribble appeals because of the better specced kit.

Negatives for the genesis are lower spec finishing kit (mainly the non hydro brakes) and reviews suggesting an unlively ride.

The Ribble is currently in the outlet so is £1199, the Genesis is £1340 - I'd be buying on cycle scheme so the indicated price is £636 for the Ribble or £710 for the Genesis.

Conflicted on which way to go, heart saying Genesis, head saying Ribble

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Annoyingly, Ribble do a bike that perfectly fits my requirements and is in the outlet at £999, but doesnt have any rack mounting points!

Alex321

Veteran
Personally, I would be going for the Ribble there, but it does depend to an extent on what your commute is like. Is it all on roads, or some gravel? How much in the way of hills (both up and down)?

But I think the 105 gears give a wider range than the GRX, particularly at the top end. If a lot of your commute is on gravel, you won't be using the top end much, so that isn't as much of an advantage. And hydraulic disc brakes are definitely better than mechanical.

vickster

Legendary Member
Annoyingly, Ribble do a bike that perfectly fits my requirements and is in the outlet at £999, but doesnt have any rack mounting points!

P clips do the job for a rack. I’ve had on my Genesis Eq for 11k miles so far.
Have you looked at Spa’s offerings? Ah you’re looking for a commuter, they don’t take C2W

Rack mounts are much tidier than fugly clips.
Look at tyre clearance and your biggest required tyre size. Does it include snow tyres, otherwise 32mm + 'guards is probably sufficient for winter potholes.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
P clips do the job for a rack. I’ve had on my Genesis Eq for 11k miles so far.
Have you looked at Spa’s offerings? Ah you’re looking for a commuter, they don’t take C2W

Annoyingly spa have some great bikes but as you say, dont use the scheme

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Ribble have suggested I could use the mudguard mounts and purchase a seat post clamp with eyelet mounts - would this allow carrying a full load?

Bike is the Endurance 725

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Commute, but can be pretty heavy depending on what I'm doing. Upto 20kg

Note that chainstay-mounted disk brakes permit normal rack mounting. Many MTB seatstay mounted disks require special disk racks which are 2-3" wider: quite an aerodynamic cost for no benefit..

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Note that chainstay-mounted disk brakes permit normal rack mounting. Many MTB seatstay mounted disks require special disk racks which are 2-3" wider: quite an aerodynamic cost for no benefit..

Do any of the above bikes have seatstay mounted disk brakes?

vickster

Legendary Member
This makes me sound like a terrible retrogrouch, but I will never understand why people ride commuter bikes without mudguards. They keep you cleaner, and reduce maintenance.

He says he wants mudguard mounts…presumably to mount mudguards? :scratch:

Top Bottom