Commuter / Winter Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
This makes me sound like a terrible retrogrouch, but I will never understand why people ride commuter bikes without mudguards. They keep you cleaner, and reduce maintenance.

I regard mudguards as essential for commuting, given you are riding in almost all weathers. And I leave them on permanently, given rain is quite likely for most of the year in South Wales.

Gives people choice - some folk don't like guards and for a commuter it's essential (IMHO), as are long homebrew mudflaps.
My feeling is it's more (a) that the cycling industry is ruled by failed racers and (b) upselling. Ultimately, a bike which needs you to wear special clothes and leaves you with a tiger stripe of whatever you've ridden through at the end of each journey is less useful than one that doesn't. Especially when you have to clean it twice as much.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Annoyingly put the order in for one of the ex display Ribbles and processed the cycle scheme voucher but the bike has since gone OOS waiting for me to upload the voucher because HR haven't signed it off yet :-(

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Well, they've strung me along.

No communication so I had to chase for a status, apparently frames delayed till 18th Dec so bikes won't be going out until mid Jan!

Getting a bit worried now with the state of the bike industry, I don't want to be paying off a cyclescheme without a bike!

vickster

Legendary Member

No communication so I had to chase for a status, apparently frames delayed till 18th Dec so bikes won't be going out until mid Jan!

Getting a bit worried now with the state of the bike industry, I don't want to be paying off a cyclescheme without a bike!

Sounds a bit par for the course with Ribble unfortunately, lots of people complaining about delivery timescales and delays :sad:
Hope you get your bike asap

Dadam

It sounds like Ribble in particular more than the bike industry as a whole. I got a c2w bike a year ago, had the bike specced and ready to order, voucher all made out to Ribble, signed off by HR. Our admin team are really efficient so it was all signed off in <48hrs, but in that time Ribble's ETA for the bike went from a month to 8 months. So I cancelled it and went for an Orbea from a local(ish) bike shop. It had to be shipped from the factory in Spain but even so was only ten days or so until I collected it.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
It's frustrating, because if they told me in October that I'd be waiting till at least mid jan then I wouldn't have gone ahead with the purchase.

It's worrying that some in stock frames are showing mid feb deliveries too...

vickster

Legendary Member
It's frustrating, because if they told me in October that I'd be waiting till at least mid jan then I wouldn't have gone ahead with the purchase.

It's worrying that some in stock frames are showing mid feb deliveries too...

Can you cancel and get something elsewhere?

Top Bottom