Commuter / Winter Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm not sure - I've already started paying for the voucher through salary sacrifice?

Welcome to my experience with Ribble - although this was during the supply chain problems of 2022

On the 17th January 2022 in the Ebike section...
Well, the Cycle to Work voucher has been issued and the order is in. Upgraded to a carbon seatpost, SKS mudguards, G-One tyres and a couple of bottle cages. The final colour chioice was...
View attachment 627088
Finally on the 5th October...
Good news - it finally arrived this morning. At 07:55 having just got to work and changed there was a text from Parcelforce saying the delivery was scheduled between 08:00 an 09:00 :banghead: Another 50 minutes later and I had a call from the Parcelforce driver asking what to do and I agreed for it to be left round the back of the house out of sight and texted confirmation to hiim.
Having knocked off work a couple of hours early, I then spent the afternoon getting everything set up how I like it and a couple of short trips round the close to make sure everything works and a brief check of the motor. I've set it up in 'Urban' mode, charged the battery and will try it out on the commute on Thursday :bicycle:

Depending on how it goes, I may get some Ergon (or Wiggle own brand version) grips as I like bar ends on my flat bar bikes plus a saddle bag for the spare tube, etc so I can run without the pannier which is where they are at the moment.
Naked
View attachment 663500
In full commute mode
View attachment 663501
On the bright side, I think I only had further 3 Cycle to Work payments to make before it oficially became mine :laugh:

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Oh god, it's going to be winter 2024 isn't it??

I have the Ribble you mention. The only downside is the weight of the damm thing - which might not be an issue for commuting.

I've recently brought a Merida endurance scultura 4000 - 105 kit and takes full length mudguards - it's a considerably nicer ride than the Ribble - but is around £1900. ,- they do alloy versions which are cheaper though.

Alex321

Veteran
Well I'm 90kg at the moment so don't think the weight of the bike is a huge consideration!

I'm a similar sort of weight to you, but the difference in weight between my Boardman hybrid (13.9Kg) and my Cube road bike (9.4Kg) is enough that it makes almost 5% difference in total weight of me+bike.

If it is only a few hundred grams, you are right, but if it is 4-5 Kilos, it can make a difference.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Still can't get confirmation off them on when they will receive the frames for the build. It was start of Dec, then mid dec, now seems to be Jan. Feel like I'm being strung along.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Current summary of events;

on 17th October the frame was indicated as arriving mid November with a 27th November dispatch

on 27th November the frame was expected 18th December

on 19th december the frame was expected 'much earlier' than early Jan

on 3rd Jan the frame was expected 11th Jan

leads to a loss in confidence of what I'm being told, I'd prefer an honest reflection of the anticipated dates rather than being strung along.

Current summary of events;

on 17th October the frame was indicated as arriving mid November with a 27th November dispatch

on 27th November the frame was expected 18th December

on 19th december the frame was expected 'much earlier' than early Jan

on 3rd Jan the frame was expected 11th Jan

leads to a loss in confidence of what I'm being told, I'd prefer an honest reflection of the anticipated dates rather than being strung along.

I'd cancel the order and buy something in stock from elsewhere.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I've asked for their cancellation policy where the voucher is already partially paid

Wish I'd gone for the genesis cdf now!

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Asked for an update to confirm the frames are arriving this week as promised, surprise surprise they're now due late next week.

Maybe they're stuck in the Suez canal?

Going to look for alternatives then cancel I think, Ribbles reliability really isn't there at the moment.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Late next week has now morphed into 24th Jan.

Haven't really found a great alternative and I'm well into sunk cost fallacy in terms of time I've waited so far!

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Put up a poor review online and was contacted by someone in customer services who said they'd try and get it sorted.

The status on the site has changed to "shipped" but the frames weren't due till 31st, so no idea what's been shipped!

No email with tracking or anything either so no idea if it's just an error on their site...

Put up a poor review online and was contacted by someone in customer services who said they'd try and get it sorted.

The status on the site has changed to "shipped" but the frames weren't due till 31st, so no idea what's been shipped!

No email with tracking or anything either so no idea if it's just an error on their site...

After reading this Ribble have missed out on a potential e bike purchase from myself.

Top Bottom