Basic Medical Insurance for longer tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Anyone any recommendations for some insurance for a tour of over three months? Last year we went with Sportscover direct, but their limit is 90 days - last year we did 89 days, but this year will go at least 50% further. We don't need baggage cover, cancellations, or anything like that, just emergency medical and repatriation cover for all of Europe at a sensible price. Small incidents we can deal with, but if one of us gets seriously ill or breaks a leg or something we may need help!

Debade

Über Member
I do not have an insurance recommendation but I do want to support your decision to get insurance. My wife dislocated her shoulder in the UK when she ht a curb and fell off her bike. She also fell in another out of country accident. She typically is not injury prone but these things did happen. Our USA insurance does provide some coverage outside of the USA, so we are fortunate.

Only wishing you good luck and safe travels.

Shame no one told the Goverment that... there are charges for admissions and other treatment

Insurance is advisable for this reason

Debade

Über Member
The good thing is that treatment at an A&E department in England remains free for all - even those from overseas.
Not true in our case. We were sent a bill for $1,000. Our insurance paid us back. We felt it was good value for all the work the medical staff did.

For the rest of the story, the people involved in this entire episode were AMAZING. After the fall, a group of cyclists on an evening ride stopped to help. Since my wife's shoulder comes out from time to time, I thought I could put it back. But this time it was a total separation. The cyclists stayed with us and provided support during my feeble effort and her increasing pain.

When it became apparent she needed medical care, they called the police and the ambulance. The police were not allowed to put her in their car. The ambulance unfortunately was slow and would not predict their ETA. (The only part of the medical service that I thought was below par).

A person driving by, offered to take us to the hospital, about a 45 minute drive to the new emergency hospital. Upon arrival, they took her right in without asking for insurance as would be typical in the USA. They captured my passport number which apparently allowed them to send the invoice. A team worked on her and with major force and put her shoulder back in place. In the meantime, the police took our bikes/stuff back to the station for safe keeping.

We then called our Warm Showers host to tell them the story. They offered to fetch us from the hospital which was about 30 minutes one way. The next day we picked up our bikes which the police took care of including all of our stuff. My wife recovered enough with one extra day of rest thanks to the great hospitality of our WS hosts. And we finished our trip.

We remain grateful for the kindness and support!!!

Debade

Über Member
I assume she was admitted for treatment after A&E (if she wasn't then you shouldn't have actually been billed - hospitals do get it wrong quite often). I'm glad your insurance paid up.

There's a lot of talk at the moment about 'health tourism' in the NHS, with the gutter press and the ignorant nearly always trying to blame BME groups. But, as an aside, the largest group of debtors to the NHS are Americans...

Going back to the OP, the complexity of charging and insurance requirements is one of the reasons I recommend you speak to a broker, rather than relying on online comparison sites.

We may have a slightly different definition of 'admitted'. She was treated in the emergency room area, in a room. I think 'admitted' in the States would be to be moved from the emergency room to a room on another appropriate floor. As I mentioned, I felt the charges were appropriate as did my insurance company.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Interesting as the NHS charging side discussion is (glad everything worked out okay for your wife @Debade) - let's not forget the OP who asked for insurance recommendations for a trip around Europe: Thanks ^_^

Anyone any recommendations for some insurance for a tour of over three months? Last year we went with Sportscover direct, but their limit is 90 days - last year we did 89 days, but this year will go at least 50% further. We don't need baggage cover, cancellations, or anything like that, just emergency medical and repatriation cover for all of Europe at a sensible price. Small incidents we can deal with, but if one of us gets seriously ill or breaks a leg or something we may need help!

HelenD123

Guru
I used Mondiale Assistance which has now become Allianz. They seem to do cover up to about 6 months and the activities covered includes mountain biking. From that I would guess they'd be happy with cycle touring but would check.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestion HelenD123, unfortunately Allianz won't cover us due to MrsS medical conditions - she has asthma and hyperthyroidism.

Pre-existing conditions are unfortunately often overcharged by companies when compared to the actual risk

My bank does free insurance, but due to a couple of issues, neither of which has ever required an attendance at the GP, Casualty etc

I cannot top up the free insurance, I require to pay for the additions .. AND the same policy

Reactions: mjr

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'd suggest that you contact a insurance broker.
@User is absolutely right, especially given this...
MrsS medical conditions - she has asthma and hyperthyroidism.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=n.....69i57j0l5.4069j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Take a trip into town, and talk to someone. You stand little chance of finding an insurer by random googling or asking on here, and every chance of finding one by asking a broker - it's their job, and they won't get paid unless they find a solution. It might not be cheap - essentially you're asking an insurer to trust you and Mrs S to keep her medication current and active. You and I both know that it's very likely that you will, because the alternative is unpleasant, but equally given those conditions a very simple sprain or stomach upset could turn out to need repatriation if she's not given the right treatment.

Another vote for the British Mountaineering Council - we used them on our 6 month trip and they were competitive. Pre-existing conditions are tricky - Mrs CC has one that no company would cover, but we were happy to exclude it from the policy because we knew from experience it was low risk.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
I think it will be a trip to a broker when we decide on exact departure date. Looked at the BMC (we are members anyway via our climbing club), but cycle touring is not covered under "Travel", you need to upgrade to "Trek", and according to the BMC Albania is not in Europe - meaning upgrading to worldwide cover. This leads to a premium of an astronomical £820!

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Update and feedback:

We have sorted a departure date of 27th April, and had a recommendation to try Fogg Travel Insurance. Online quote was £97, with a note to phone regarding medical issues. Phoned and gave details and there was no loading at all for MrsS's conditions. Good result, as the premium was reduced by not having cancellation or baggage cover, exactly what we wanted. Interestingly Foggs definition of "Europe" is very wide, including parts of Asia and Africa! Oh, and Cycle Touring is covered under their normal policy, not requiring a higher premium.

Top Bottom