Basic service costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all. I put my Giant Defy 1 into my lbs on Saturday for a new chain and brake pads, front and back. It has a 105 groupset. I've used the shop before and have always been pleased with the service and costs. He's texted me to say the bike is ready but the cost has surprised me.

What would your lbs charge for this work?

Cheers

Mike

Slick

Guru
Are you sure that's all they have done or have they done that in addition to a stage 1 service?

OP
OP
M
Are you sure that's all they have done or have they done that in addition to a stage 1 service?

I asked for pads and a chain but maybe he's done more. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. The same bloke did a lot more on a Rockhopper a few years ago for not much more than this bill.

He does good work so I'm sure I'll be happy but just trying to gauge what the rates are these days.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I had brake pads fitted recently by Halfrds and was charged either £6 or £7 fitting per set and I think it was the same for fitting a chain that I supplied. I wouldn't expect the bill to be over £30.

Is your price fit only or supply and fit?

I once booked my bike in for similar, and got a surprise when they fitted a new cassette. I queried it - because the cassette that was on there hadn't done many miles at all, and had been fitted by them in the spring at the same time as a new chain and chainrings after I'd (deliberately, because the chain and cassette were about due and the middle ring in particular was getting rough) run the whole lot on over winter. The chap in the shop (who was the one member of staff there that I didn't particularly like, I have to say - the other staff never patronised me in the way that he did) said it was because of the level of chain wear, they 'always' replace the cassette if the chain has stretched beyond a certain point. I pointed out that I had specifically told them when they assessed it that the cassette and chainrings were only a few hundred miles old, and that I was surprised by the level of chain wear they measured given how few miles I'd done, and that they'd ALWAYS rung me in the past to check before carrying out any significant extra work when they serviced the bike.

In the end they comp'd the cassette. I'd bought the bike there originally, and had bought and had fitted by them several upgrades over the years - new saddle, better pedals, upgrade to BB7s instead of the OEM shimanos, adding the most expensive ergon grips and touring bar ends, a new wheel - on top of routine servicing and consumables.

vickster

Legendary Member
£75-100?

videoman

Guru
Just wondered was the work cheaper or more expensive than you thought it was going to be and did you get an idea of price before agreeing to the work?

I have never taken or will ever take any of my bikes into a lbs for work to be done.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Depending on wear they may have needed to replace a chainring or the cassette. Would have probably checked gear indexing as well. Gear cables may have needed replacing. Brake cables may have needed reclamping or replacing.

Best you discuss with the bike shop. The I asked for this and it did not cost what I expected but I won't tell you how much it cost, gets us nowhere beyond speculation on work done and actual cost.

Some examples...
http://www.yorkcycleworks.com/workshop/
£40-£120 depending on level of service selected, plus parts or £40/hour plus parts
https://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/workshop
£39-£120 depending on level of service selected, plus parts
http://www.fulfordcycles.com/service-centre-3-w.asp
£35-£95 depending on level of service selected plus parts, or pick-n-mix

You don't want to know how much my last service cost. The one to sort out the stoker crank that snapped in two, on the bike with chains of unusual length. Next time will be worse though, I reckon the dynamo hub and the hub gear need checking over...

Kernowdreamer

There is a guy near to me who doesn't have fixed service prices.
His policy is to review the bike free of charge and based on your projection of mileage and use environment (winter/summer/road/off road) quote for what need to be done. That way he's not changing parts for the sake of it. Seems pretty sensible to me. His feedback suggests he's pretty popular.

OP
OP
M
Cheers all. He is charging me £90. Based on some of the comments, maybe this is ok but I'll find out exactly what he did later. As mentioned above, a few years ago, he did LOTS of work on a neglected Specialized Rockhopper and made it like new for about £130 so the £90 surprised me. As I said, I don't mind. The bike is the 3rd most important thing in my life (after my Defy Advanced 1 and the GF) and I'll look after it. Doing this work myself is not the way I am tuned unfortunately so while I can afford it, my lbs will be my saviour.

Cheers all, I'll update you later. Hoping to do a quick 50k when I pick it up.

Top Bottom