Basic service costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
I was once and once only ripped off by an LBS here in Richmond , so I took to doing as much myself now as I can , your local Council may run classes where you can learn to do beginners to advanced mech stuff , they call them bike hubs here in London , along the way though I have started to purchase small bits from Pearsons in Sheen , the staff are helpful and good at their work , only downside is they always point to the top shelf , a chain for the roadie ,10 speed Shims o Ultegra , £17 price match at Evans was £60 odd there ,

Edit; Google ‘community cycle’ or similar in your area , I have just done that for Oldham , seems the Council are doing something there for cyclists ,

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^^This.
I was stunned at the cost of my first dealings with an LBS. My visit to another for a gear adjustment was expensive and their workmanship was appalling. The chain fell off in the middle of the night, somewhere in Sussex, twelve hours later.

Get (or borrow) some cheap tools and look on youTube for excellent advice on how to do it for yourself. You'll never look back.

Kernowdreamer

"so the £90 surprised me"

Around about the time of the Brexit vote there was a drop in the exchange rate and a significant increase in the price of a large proportion of bike parts.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Labour costs. Add in shop overheads etc etc.

Don't get into MTB without learning maintenance skills as they can be money pits given the conditions ridden in. You'd be in the LBS monthly.

Top Bottom