Bastard Landlords Part II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Tenants moved out, house sale completed today. No longer a bastard landlord, thank god.

Tenants left a shed load of stuff - looked like they walked out the door and left all their belongings behind. Just bizarre and rather expensive to have cleared....

Don't get rid of it all yet - legally you need to hold on to it and contact them to ask them do they want this stuff - Unless they've already mentioned that they don't want it- just disposing of it could cause issues for you later down the line.

U

User169

Don't get rid of it all yet - legally you need to hold on to it and contact them to ask them do they want this stuff - Unless they've already mentioned that they don't want it- just disposing of it could cause issues for you later down the line.

Well there's only so long I can keep the perishable contents of the fridge!

Bastard Landlord Tale

Got told a good one last night, its worth sharing.

So a shop my friend works in has a flat above it which the owner of the shop rented out, it turned out the tennant lied quite badly about his income and was a DSS claimer who whilst not paying rent also neglected to pay any of the utility bills or council tax. The owner decides (in his wisdom) that after some time (i believe 3 months) despite them having a rental agreement he can serve notice on, instead simply changes the locks and refuses the guy entry to his own home and belongings:wacko:

Now heres the best bit, the guy has taken the owner to court and won not only his legal right to get back in the property but also around £2000 in costs for alternative accommodation for whilst he was locked out. Which turned out to be a room above a local strip club at £100 a night!:thumbsup:

Now I asked my friend if the owner had now served notice but he cannot as they are both now counter suing each other :laugh: Apparently the utilities are about to be cut off 'imminently' for none payment so how long the guy lasts I dont know.

Honestly, some landlords are simply clueless!

Bastard Landlord Tale

Got told a good one last night, its worth sharing.

So a shop my friend works in has a flat above it which the owner of the shop rented out, it turned out the tennant lied quite badly about his income and was a DSS claimer who whilst not paying rent also neglected to pay any of the utility bills or council tax. The owner decides (in his wisdom) that after some time (i believe 3 months) despite them having a rental agreement he can serve notice on, instead simply changes the locks and refuses the guy entry to his own home and belongings:wacko:

Now heres the best bit, the guy has taken the owner to court and won not only his legal right to get back in the property but also around £2000 in costs for alternative accommodation for whilst he was locked out. Which turned out to be a room above a local strip club at £100 a night!:thumbsup:

Now I asked my friend if the owner had now served notice but he cannot as they are both now counter suing each other :laugh: Apparently the utilities are about to be cut off 'imminently' for none payment so how long the guy lasts I dont know.

Honestly, some landlords are simply clueless!

Did the landlord also get a criminal record for the illegal eviction? If not I think he got off pretty lightly.

ASC1951

Guru
I didnt know such a conviction existed BTW?
Protection From Eviction Act 1977. Maximum of two years in chokey.

Top Bottom