Bastard Landlords Part II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Well, I'm not usually divisive and black and white about many things. However, having moved so much and experienced such inequity when trying to look after properties, reporting maintenance and issues as soon as they occur etc and paying up on time as well as looking after things that were beyond the remit of a tenant. Still in London, people that I've mostly come across have been quite exploitative and stingy.

Yes, I do know there are bad tenants and good tenants as well as good landlords and bad landlords - I just very occasionally enjoy a good old rant.

Still, I do agree that there is a massive imbalance legally and in terms of power between Landlord and a tenant

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
that reminds me of my Mum, paid for a professional cleaning company when she was moving house, and then spent the day before cleaning the house so that the cleaners didn't find it dirty :wacko:

oh my word..I'm not that bad- I just like to leave it clean and not dirty at all.

subaqua

What’s the point
Mains wired ones (should) still have a backup battery which beeps when low :thumbsup:

correct, unless wired on a circuit which is monitored ( a lighting circuit) ones without batteries are so bloody rare anyway its a non point.

for what it worth stick the mains interlinked with battery back up.

as an aside , if wireless ones are used not setting the corret "house" code can result in "fun" with a ground foor flat setting off a 3rd floor flat alarm as they are on same frequency.

this happened to me at longley house at top end of tufnell park rd. on a refurb of the block

Not unless it's an HMO, I believe.

Many tenants seem to think they have no legal or moral responsibility whatsoever for the property or its fittings, just for their own possessions. Wrong on both counts.

It isnt an HMO but a flat (of 30 ish) in a converted building, so no not required but welcomed :thumbsup: It does seem to have quite sophisticated alarm systems (burglar and fire) and also a CCTV system wired in. It is a Grade II listed building mind so perhaps the landlord may have been required to do more than was required legally when it was converted (around 10 years ago).

Re legal/moral responsibility

Its not quite as black/white as you make out. If you are talking about myself being legally/morally required to pay for the upkeep/maintenance of the property it entirely depends what you are talking about and what your agreement is.

For instance at houses with gardens, I have been expected in the past to maintain the lawn (mow it) which was made clear upfront, and also alternatively once a month the landlord would arrive and do it himself. Personally I preferred the latter as it gave me a chance to chat to him but everybody is different.

Another example is if I notice paint is peeling on a wall, I am not responsible for repainting myself but I am responsible for bring the matter to the attention of the landlord.

Fair wear and tear is to be expected but none of that is to be paid for by myself unless I have damaged the property. An example of this is I once left a property in a clean and tidy state, yet the landlord tried to withold deposit on the basis the carpets needed replacing. As I pointed out they were not damaged or stained in any way then this was not something I was responsible for, it took the threat of small claims (via a solicitor friend) to return the deposit. Of course if I had dropped half a bottle of red onto the carpet, I would have been responsible.

Like I say its not black and white :thumbsup:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Because they are Bastard Tenants. No doubt they expect the landlord to clean their windows and empty their bins for them, too.

I've also alerted the landlord earlier this year, who's taken no action. This is the same one who I have to chase for months on end to get payment out of when I arrange communal repairs. Took 3 months to get £12 out of them once - emails, phone calls & letters were all ignored, or I was told that their systems had just gone down each time I phoned.

Another time there were a few blokes staying in the flat who used to buzz me morning, noon and night asking to be let in as they didn't have a main door key. I phoned up the landlord asking them to give their tenants a key as I was fed up being disturbed at all hours, and they told me that it was nothing to do with them as their computer said there were three girls renting the flat. I told them that the girls had gone a long time before and there were three guys in the flat, but they point blank refused to believe me because their computer said three girls! I argued with them for 10 minutes before hanging up and banging my head off the table repeatedly.

A national company too, I believe. Couldn't care less.

Because they are Bastard Tenants. No doubt they expect the landlord to clean their windows and empty their bins for them, too.

Missed this :tongue:

Absolutely :thumbsup: It was made clear when I signed the tenency that the disposal of refuse from the communal bins would be taken care so long as I took my own rubbish there, and also that the windows would be cleaned as part of the contract. I also get groundskeeping included, as I say its entirely dependent on the contract.

...help help I'm locked out...

The layout of my building means people can sometimes lock themselves in the secure car park at the rear of the building - all doors shut and lock from the inside. So as my flat overlooks the car park occasionally I have to let them in :rolleyes:

If this was daily though, I'd refuse, people should learn to remember their keys or get some in first place :thumbsup:

subaqua

What’s the point
Missed this :tongue:

Absolutely :thumbsup: It was made clear when I signed the tenency that the disposal of refuse from the communal bins would be taken care so long as I took my own rubbish there, and also that the windows would be cleaned as part of the contract. I also get groundskeeping included, as I say its entirely dependent on the contract.

The layout of my building means people can sometimes lock themselves in the secure car park at the rear of the building - all doors shut and lock from the inside. So as my flat overlooks the car park occasionally I have to let them in

If this was daily though, I'd refuse, people should learn to remember their keys or get some in first place :thumbsup:

I am sure that the local fire authority would be interested in this. car parks have all sorts of laws applying , The Petroleum Act is one that comes to mind.

I am sure that the local fire authority would be interested in this. car parks have all sorts of laws applying , The Petroleum Act is one that comes to mind.

Eh? You've confused me?

I should mention this is an outside car park, its not an underground.

It isnt an HMO but a flat (of 30 ish) in a converted building, so no not required but welcomed :thumbsup: It does seem to have quite sophisticated alarm systems (burglar and fire) and also a CCTV system wired in. It is a Grade II listed building mind so perhaps the landlord may have been required to do more than was required legally when it was converted (around 10 years ago).

Re legal/moral responsibility

Its not quite as black/white as you make out. If you are talking about myself being legally/morally required to pay for the upkeep/maintenance of the property it entirely depends what you are talking about and what your agreement is.

For instance at houses with gardens, I have been expected in the past to maintain the lawn (mow it) which was made clear upfront, and also alternatively once a month the landlord would arrive and do it himself. Personally I preferred the latter as it gave me a chance to chat to him but everybody is different.

Another example is if I notice paint is peeling on a wall, I am not responsible for repainting myself but I am responsible for bring the matter to the attention of the landlord.

Fair wear and tear is to be expected but none of that is to be paid for by myself unless I have damaged the property. An example of this is I once left a property in a clean and tidy state, yet the landlord tried to withold deposit on the basis the carpets needed replacing. As I pointed out they were not damaged or stained in any way then this was not something I was responsible for, it took the threat of small claims (via a solicitor friend) to return the deposit. Of course if I had dropped half a bottle of red onto the carpet, I would have been responsible.

Like I say its not black and white :thumbsup:

Even if you spilled half a bottle of red wine on the carpet you wouldn't be expected to pay for a brand new carpet if you'd been living in the house for a while especially if the carpet was quite old when you moved in. You'd be expected to pay the price of an equivalently aged carpet which would probably be about half the cost of a new one I expect.

And if the carpet was six years old technically it's due to be replaced anyway in which case you probably wouldn't pay anything.

Even if you spilled half a bottle of red wine on the carpet you wouldn't be expected to pay for a brand new carpet if you'd been living in the house for a while especially if the carpet was quite old when you moved in. You'd be expected to pay the price of an equivalently aged carpet which would probably be about half the cost of a new one I expect.

And if the carpet was six years old technically it's due to be replaced anyway in which case you probably wouldn't pay anything.
Hmmm good point :thumbsup: I think I'll still keep the rugs down though as I can be quite messy :biggrin:

U

User169

Tenants moved out, house sale completed today. No longer a bastard landlord, thank god.

Tenants left a shed load of stuff - looked like they walked out the door and left all their belongings behind. Just bizarre and rather expensive to have cleared....

Top Bottom