Bastard Landlords Part II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done.
Here's hoping you have set the scene to develop a harmonious and mutually supportive relationship as a result TC... but mind your back helping to lift the new machine in!

Have you discovered a common interest in gardening?
smile.gif

I reckon yes. Claudine will give him a quick dig in the ribs followed by turfing out. :laugh:

I reckon yes. Claudine will give him a quick dig in the ribs followed by turfing out. :laugh:

More like buried 6 feet under, if he steps out of line again.

Well done TC.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
1501410 said:
So how is it? Did you get the drum out of the old one to use as a fire basket?

Haven't got the effing thing yet. He's been fannying about (predictably) and has arranged to have it delivered next Saturday. So that's over four weeks to sort out a very simple replacement. Tosser.

As for speculation on the housing market, if I sold the houses I'd then have to invest in something else. What would your prefer I invested in, Arms companies, very profitable at the moment ? Oil companies, nice bit of shaleoil in Canada at the moment ? Fruit companies employing workers for a dollar a day ? Clothing companies employing children ?
You have to put your money somewhere, you can no longer leave it in the bank (who will be investing in all the above), at least with housing I'm providing a service, I can touch my investment, and bar mass emigration from the UK, it will have some sort of value.

You can invest in FTSE4Good, renewables (Triodos); investments via the Co-Operative have an ethical policy excluding your options...
It's there if you look for it.

From a landlords point of view 'only' two months rent as a deposit is not enough.

As has been stated before you are loaning someone a bit of kit worth quarter of a million quid, on the basis of their good word and a couple of grand up front.
There is a reason why extra guarantors are required. and one needs to ensure that if a payment is missed, the landlord is not out of pocket.

There is currently talk in the EU about standarising the deposit taken across Europe to be the normal average. Given that 3 to 6 months is normal elsewhere I'd guess they will go for 3 months rent as a deposit.

Yes...

but

2 months' rent, plus first month's rent in advance, is a shedload of money. I say this with two of us in the house both having well paid jobs. We've thankfully not had 2 months' rent required yet, but have had 1.5 times, and it's a tight squeeze - especially if you've just been given 1 month's notice at your previous house!

Remember, in most cases, that the previous landlord is still clinging to your deposit at this stage, as you'll only get that back after 10 days after that tenancy ends (* if the agency bothers to phone you and request your bank details; which they don't, even though they were really good at phoning to get prospective tenants round for viewings and your phone number hasn't changed).

From what I understand, the rest of the EU generally has a more well developed rental market with longer term rents, requiring 3 months' rent for a 6 month contract is ridiculous.
(4 landlords in 5 years here; thankfully mine have been good on the whole; but equally we've never had any major issues that need sorting!).

Cheule

I've just been given the news from my landlord that he's selling the house from under us to cover his bad debts. I have until October to go before the banks seize the property. I feel so gutted, I have a perfect payment record but I'm in bad credit, which is why we moved in to his place to start with. We helped him with his mortgage while we repaired our credit history.

Now I need to get a new place, I've had to try the estate agency route for the first time and I hate it. Checks for this, checks for that and I know ill fail the credit check :sad:

subaqua

What’s the point
I've just been given the news from my landlord that he's selling the house from under us to cover his bad debts. I have until October to go before the banks seize the property. I feel so gutted, I have a perfect payment record but I'm in bad credit, which is why we moved in to his place to start with. We helped him with his mortgage while we repaired our credit history.

Now I need to get a new place, I've had to try the estate agency route for the first time and I hate it. Checks for this, checks for that and I know ill fail the credit check :sad:

is there such a thing as a sitting tenant?

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist

I feel for you, Cheule. The credit scoring is a pain in the arse. Agencies will charge you a fortune for the pleasure, as well. When I last had a change of housemate, the agency wanted to charge us £90 each for a new credit "check", in spite of the fact that I'd been paying them by standing order without fail for three years with the previous joint tenancy on the same property. I refused, and asked them how much it actually cost them. They got a bit shirty.

.......Credit Scoring..........

Again this is something I've not found universal, some agencies have insisted on them (I failed once and they accepted me anyway FFS) and others havent cared less. Its shame its not more tightly regulated so that it is ruled non-compulsory as if you are paying rent in advance there is no credit being provided and your credit score is irrelevant.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm not sure that it's legal for agencies to charge prospective tenants for credit scoring. And, no, the agency I use doesn't do it.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm not sure that it's legal for agencies to charge prospective tenants for credit scoring. And, no, the agency I use doesn't do it.

It's very common to be charged for this - there is no regulation that is mandatory for what agencies charge people. The highest charge for 'arranging' the tenancy was £175 per person in a two bedroom flat. Raking it in, absolute tossers. When you factor in the two months rent for deposit, the currently retained deposit in the current place, the costs to move furniture and belongings and the months rent in advance....

I hate the extortionate fees and I've come across many agents who are scum of the earth.

Top Bottom