Batch Cooking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Quick pressure cook before bed...

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Quick pressure cook before bed...

View attachment 556160
But what’s in it???

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I don't batch cook per se, but as it's just me and mum, I find it's often worth cooking a "serves four" or a "serves six" which means that I don't have to cook every day and then have time for other kitchen activities. At this time of year, it's usually making chutney, pickles and membrillo. I don't freeze cooked meals - I'd much rather keep my freezer for raw ingredients.

I do yellow sticker though. I go to my local Tesco (usually once a fortnight) on a Saturday evening when they clear the meat and fish counters (they're shut Sunday through to Wednesday), and I buy whatever takes my fancy from what's available. This Saturday just gone, I had a monkfish tail, lamb rump, a large rump steak, trout fillets and salmon fillets - more than usual, I'll admit. Last time I had a pork shoulder and a massive pack of brill fillets. I also get fruit & veg on sticker, plus there's a chap in the village that sells the organic veg he grows on his smallholding.

And then I cook accordingly, whether that's meat, fish or something vegetarian or vegan. I'm not fussed as long as it's a damn good plate of food.

This week, the salmon and trout went in the freezer, I cooked the monkfish tail on Tuesday (wrapped in bacon and roasted), and that was big enough for four portions. Last night turned the lamb rump into a tagine, and that's a "serves six" and I'll do the steak tomorrow, and that'll also be a "serves four" although half of the steak is earmarked to then go into some Cornish pasties. Once everything is cooked, I've got a plethora of stuff to choose from, and then all I need to do is veggies and potatoes / bulgur wheat / flatbreads etc. That lot will see us through until after the weekend.

Mind, I *do* love cooking. :becool:

I really admire your thrift, and you're clearly good at the batch cooking, but I could never buy yellow sticker fish. It's perfect just off the boat, only passable once it's just reached a supermarket, but I'm afraid once it's close to its "use by" date, I'm out.

The meat i agree with, that's fine for ages.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
We even strip our sunflowers for the seeds and roast them as snacks. Mrs Oldhippy makes our veg stock as well from off cuts.

I really admire your thrift, and you're clearly good at the batch cooking, but I could never buy yellow sticker fish. It's perfect just off the boat, only passable once it's just reached a supermarket, but I'm afraid once it's close to its "use by" date, I'm out.

The meat i agree with, that's fine for ages.

Hmmm... But you see, I have a pair of highly capable in-house quality control officers... :blush:

IMG_4018_small.jpg

If meat or fish gets past their discerning little palates, then I know it's a good. :blush: On a more serious note, much of the stuff that gets cleared from the counter on Saturday nights usually still has several days to run on the date, because they're then shut till Wednesday morning.

I quite agree with you regards the pre-packaged stuff though. The counter fish is considerably fresher and better quality.

P.S. I usually buy something at the same time for Poppy (tortie) and Lexi (blue & white). They are particularly fond of fresh tuna and basa. :whistle:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I personally don't like frozen food and couldn't be bothered batch cooking lots to then throw out because I couldn't eat it. Each to their own though.
agree with your point......

lockdown means i have had time to cook for myself again after 22 years married and being out of the house i had to eat what was on offer, now i can choose i've rediscovered cooking and make fresh healthy and sometimes unhealthy meals daily, normally i make double and freeze half unless its a fish dish as i dont feel they freeze well, i'm eating a very vegi biases diet on the whole just because i love the flavours, my freezer has about a dozen meals ready to go along with pizza fish fingers burgers etc.

Today was homemade prawn stir fry yesterday was chicken tagine, tomorrow is some fancy Brazilian fish stew and Sat. could be chilli or maybe a spanish tortilla or a paella.

As its that time of year now it might be about time for a stew or two, mind you i do also love a steak chips and sweetcorn nom!

Top Bottom