Batch Cooking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How do you mark them so as to know what is in the container.......without using indelible ink ?
We use a Sharpie which is supposed to be indelible, but actually scrubs off really easily. We write what it is and the date on the end of the tub so it is visible when you open the freezer.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
As we have more time now to prepare tea in the evening and there's just the two of us, I don't freeze stuff as we never get round to defrosting anything to use it once frozen, so make fresh and if any left over I just chill in the fridge for another night.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How do you mark them so as to know what is in the container.......without using indelible ink ?
i use sticky labels either peal off once food is eaten or put another label over the top, with content and date

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, only me and only a small freezer. I might eat the same thing for a couple of days, but generally freshly cooked every day, pretty much nothing I do takes more than 30 mins to prepare and cook (and much is less than that) so time is not a problem

used to do lots of chilli con carne in the slow cooker and it was rather admired by some - south east london street markets are handy for the chillis you need - haven't done for a fair old while - thanks for the nudge.
very handy.
My rule has long been that if it takes more than 20 minutes it isn't worth eating - batch cooking can be divided.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Does anyone do any batching cooking through winter and freeze them up for quick easy meals??

if so what's your favourites?
Stocks - I get free chix and beef bones from the butcher, make a simple 4~5h stock, freeze it and use as needed

Brownies - as the desserts go this one is one of the best as far as batch cooking and freezing goes

Romescu - freezes perfectly, just give it a whizz after defrosting

Pesto - as above, remember to cover with olive oil to reduce oxidation

Thai curries - perfect do defrost on a go in microwave if in a hurry

Soups - any sort of creams work very well

Chicken thighs - if you have sous vide it is wonderful

My advice, especially if batch cooking sauces and prepping proteins, is to invest in a vacuum sealer

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacuum-Sealers/b?ie=UTF8&node=3313556031&ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

And always try to get the temp down after cooking as quickly as possible to avoid deterioration of quality and food poisoning, if it is warm if does not go into the freezer!

johnblack

Über Member
Work from home, so just cook when I feel like it, or the kids might make something for us when they get back from school (they learnt to cook early) or as a last resort my wife might cook when she gets home.

Some stuff is always cooked in large amounts than required, so goes straight in the freezer for another time, but that's about it.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
We batch cook with stuff from the allotment. Just discovered a use for carrot greenery. Pesto! Garlic, carrot leaves and olive oil in the blender and it is good.

I don't batch cook per se, but as it's just me and mum, I find it's often worth cooking a "serves four" or a "serves six" which means that I don't have to cook every day and then have time for other kitchen activities. At this time of year, it's usually making chutney, pickles and membrillo. I don't freeze cooked meals - I'd much rather keep my freezer for raw ingredients.

I do yellow sticker though. I go to my local Tesco (usually once a fortnight) on a Saturday evening when they clear the meat and fish counters (they're shut Sunday through to Wednesday), and I buy whatever takes my fancy from what's available. This Saturday just gone, I had a monkfish tail, lamb rump, a large rump steak, trout fillets and salmon fillets - more than usual, I'll admit. Last time I had a pork shoulder and a massive pack of brill fillets. I also get fruit & veg on sticker, plus there's a chap in the village that sells the organic veg he grows on his smallholding.

And then I cook accordingly, whether that's meat, fish or something vegetarian or vegan. I'm not fussed as long as it's a damn good plate of food.

This week, the salmon and trout went in the freezer, I cooked the monkfish tail on Tuesday (wrapped in bacon and roasted), and that was big enough for four portions. Last night turned the lamb rump into a tagine, and that's a "serves six" and I'll do the steak tomorrow, and that'll also be a "serves four" although half of the steak is earmarked to then go into some Cornish pasties. Once everything is cooked, I've got a plethora of stuff to choose from, and then all I need to do is veggies and potatoes / bulgur wheat / flatbreads etc. That lot will see us through until after the weekend.

Mind, I *do* love cooking. :becool:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
When things are frozen and then reheated they are not as nice as when made fresh and eaten straight away. I only like freshly prepared food. I also dislike eating the same meal two days on the go.
That’s why you batch cook 4 or 5 different meals, then you get to choose

Top Bottom