Bath Two Tunnels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Has anyone else on here been through the bath two tunnels cycle path?

A work colleague showed me it yesterday as part of a 40 ish mile ride and it was the effing nuts. The longest uk cycle tunnel apparently.

Possibly the most surreal cycling experience I have ever had.

Robeh

Not been through but a mate said the lighting in the tunnel is a joke,and to many cyclist speed through it....

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'm hoping to try it soon but if the Staple Hill tunnel near me is anything to go by, it'll soon be a magnet for moped-racing hoodies:whistle:

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I'm hoping to try it soon but if the Staple Hill tunnel near me is anything to go by, it'll soon be a magnet for moped-racing hoodies:whistle:

Yep, that was my worry. They do have some brutal looking barred gates at either end, dunno if they are designed to keep the hoodies out or capture them when they get in.

Regular user of the TT route here. Lighting is just fine, low-level, but enough to see clearly. One can however see for very long distances ahead on some stretches, and having 'be-seen-by' lights, (as opposed to death lasers) is a courtesy as it allows people to see you earlier - an unlit user can blend into the shadows until a few dozen yards away. More psychological security than strictly necessary. Us locals are doing a good job of discouraging the scrotes. This is a fairly busy route, and anyone engaging in anti-social activity is going to be conspicuous. There are inevitable problems with idiots as everywhere, including some hog-whimperingly stupid types who thought riding horses in there might be a wheeze - but these are very exceptional and swiftly dealt with - 'tutting' echoes well and sounds much more intimidating :-) Speeding is an occasional issue, but the TT route is not special in this respect. I myself have shouted in an ungentlemanly fashion at members of a local cycle club on the Bath Bristol path. "I bet you drive your car like that too!" is my favourite lame riposte to cut-ups etc, sad really at my age . . .

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Finally cycled it yesterday and had lunch at the Hope & Anchor pub^_^. Will check my helmet cam footage (I've rarely used it in low light conditions) and put some up on my channel later. Was impressed, especially by the piped music (yes, it's got piped classical music). Bit narrower than I thought and the start in Bath was a bu***r to find:blush:. It's not very well signposted, we got a bit lost and another cyclist stopped to ask us where it was !. Lighting okay but flashing lights, like those Knog ones, would be advisable. Take your shades off though, bit too dark for them. Altogether, a fun ride.

Horses ridden in it?...Good grief!. It's barely wide enough for a horse. They need some No Horses/Motorbikes signs up. Speaking of quadropeds, saw some horses from the A4174 ring road ridden on the adjacent cyclepath despite there being aforementioned signs. What's the matter with horsey types, sudden inability to read?:whistle: .

Top Bottom