Battery lights vs. rechargeable.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
Dynamo hub every time.
bottle dynamo to front with led bulb and two led rears with AAA re-chargeables clipped to rear suits me for the commute...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would choose decent rechargeable batteries without a moment's hesitation. I bought four Eneloops about twelve years ago, together with a good charger and I've bought quite a few more ( both AA and AAA) since then to power the numerous battery gizmos at home. The original Eneloops are still going strong after many charges but they are starting to look a bit battered.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 12

classic33

Leg End Member
I would choose decent rechargeable batteries without a moment's hesitation. I bought four Eneloops about twelve years ago, together with a good charger and I've bought quite a few more ( both AA and AAA) since then to power the numerous battery gizmos at home. The original Eneloops are still going strong after many charges but they are starting to look a bit battered.
What's your thoughts/view on the charger pictured?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What's your thoughts/view on the charger pictured?
I've been very happy with it for more than a dozen years. It charges both AA and AAA. I think it's got a feature to recondition cells but I've never tried that. BTW, I have no idea what it cost's now but I think it was about twenty-something quid when I bought it, not cheap at the time. I think @ianrauk has one as well.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been very happy with it for more than a dozen years. It charges both AA and AAA. I think it's got a feature to recondition cells but I've never tried that. BTW, I have no idea what it cost's now but I think it was about twenty-something quid when I bought it, not cheap at the time. I think @ianrauk has one as well.
Not me dear chap. I have a 7dayShop charger. Which I've had for a good few years.

I have that same charger - excellent - I virtually always charge at the lowest level - learned my lesson with my first foray into charging - used non low self discharge batteries and a one-hour fast charger - fried the batteries pretty quickly.

edit - I see @classic33 asked about it- thoroughly recommended - available under several brandings, I think 7 day shop have sold it as well.

One version will also charge very fast if you need to in extremis - maybe when on tour. And one has a USB output at the back as well.

mine cost around £20 - better money spent than on a slice of a built-in battery light which would have been dumped by now.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
exactly or with rear cate-eyes just clip an already full light into the same mount.
I've bought a few as I don't think they will be around much longer.
I suspect you are right - but in a way that shows the answer to this thread.

They won't be around for long because they just don't sell nearly as many as rechargeables with built in batteries.

TBH, I'm already not sure where I would get an equivalent to my current main front light using removable rechargeable batteries. Having a quick look, I can't find anything taking AA or AAA batteries with more than 250 lumens. I'd want a minimum of 1100 and preferably the 1600 my current light has.

There are more powerful lights with external battery packs, but those are still not the type of batteries you can get in most shops.

I suspect you are right - but in a way that shows the answer to this thread.

They won't be around for long because they just don't sell nearly as many as rechargeables with built in batteries.

TBH, I'm already not sure where I would get an equivalent to my current main front light using removable rechargeable batteries. Having a quick look, I can't find anything taking AA or AAA batteries with more than 250 lumens. I'd want a minimum of 1100 and preferably the 1600 my current light has.

There are more powerful lights with external battery packs, but those are still not the type of batteries you can get in most shops.
for road riding you should be looking for LUX ratings.
This, though I'd buy without the charger.

Takes 4 AAs
https://www.bikester.co.uk/busch-mu...Q-i52cVb-pVY73opniRMqqjMG7Z6C01RoCuAIQAvD_BwE

I've ridden through nights with that.

I agree that it is more of a problem with front lights - that B&M light might not be around much longer - but there's no good reason why removable battery lights shouldn't continue to be made and developed.

Alex321

Veteran
for road riding you should be looking for LUX ratings.

While they are undoubtedly better, very few manufacturers give them, and there is no standard distance to be able to readily compare them when they do.

If lux always had to be given and always measured at (say) 10m, then I agree it would be the right thing to use. Though we would also have to get used to knowing how much light that actually means.

This, though I'd buy without the charger.

Takes 4 AAs
https://www.bikester.co.uk/busch-mu...Q-i52cVb-pVY73opniRMqqjMG7Z6C01RoCuAIQAvD_BwE

I've ridden through nights with that.

That does look good. If it is still around when I need to replace my current light, I might well consider it, though I really have little idea how bright 80 lux at 10m is in terms of how much light it throws in the range I need to see.

I would need to get a light meter and measure the level of my current light (which I know to be adequate) at an appropriate distance.

I agree that it is more of a problem with front lights - that B&M light might not be around much longer - but there's no good reason why removable battery lights shouldn't continue to be made and developed.
There is certainly no technical reason, but the "good reason" is that people just aren't buying them. Manufacturers aren't going to sink more development costs into products where they don't see a market.

Alex321

Veteran
AA/AAA for critical safety, like commuting. Certainly back up with rechargeable built in if you like. That said, these lights are getting less and less 'available'.
Other way around so far as I am concerned.

Yes, I always carry a "spare" light for safety.; But I see no reason why it is any safer to have the main regular use light be removable batteries, provided you do carry a spare light.

Top Bottom