Battle on the Beach 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

I'm in.

huwsparky

Über Member
No bike. Know of anywhere I could hire one? Would a normal CX bike be OK or would the bike need to be different to take extra wide tires?

Edit - just seen its very limited soft and from the info so a normal CX bike should do it. If I could find a bike I'd give that a go!

Last edited:

Citius

Cross bike or 29er MTB would be the best options. Entries are now sold out anyway, but there is a reserve list..

Citius

Yes, raced there in 2014 - made the wrong bike choice (CX bike). This year, I'm on a flat bar 29er HT...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ohhh not nice on the transmission ?

Citius

Whats wrong with a cx bike on the beach anyroad?

On the beach itself, a CX bike is ideal - perfect even. The sand is extremely firm (the RAF occasionally lands C-130s on it) and the beach section is long, straight and fast, especially with a tailwind. So on the drops on a CX gets you a bit more aero than you would be on an MTB. Once you are off the beach and back into the singletrack/woods, it's a different matter - and in terms of time per lap, you probably spend longer off the beach than you do on it. In fairness, there's no massive advantage for any type of bike, but after previous experience on a CX, I'm choosing a 29er HT this time round. Lots of others will choose differently...

screenman

Legendary Member
I am not racing again so it is a no for me, it falls on my 60th birthday so it would have been a good way to mark it though.

Top Bottom