BB Fixed Cup Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin0912

Hello does anyone know or have experience to remove a siezed Fixed cup from a bike i need to update my BB as spindle is warn but i dont want to pay 20 pound just fro them to have a try and go cant do it any tips?

Manonabike

Über Member
Take a look at this link http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

The bench vise worked for me....

I have managed to remove quite a few of these when others have failed. If you have a bench with a vice attached to it, then it is a relatively simple and straight forward task.

Assuming that you already have the spindle out, soak the internal threads of the bottom bracket with a little diesel for a couple of days. Place the flats into the vice jaws and tighten them. I know this is a left handed tread, but try rocking the frame both anticlockwise and then clockwise a few times to break the rust/corrosion seal, and then continue to turn the frame clockwise to unscrew the cup. it may help if you rock the frame anticlockwise and then clockwise every now and again as you add a few drops more of diesel to help clean and lubricate the treads.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Fit a large bolt through the axle hole and tighten the nut. Clamp this in a bench vice and then turn the frame. If unable to fit the whole over the vice, use a monkey wrench on the nut. Being a left handed fitting, the nut tightens as you loosen the cup.

OP
OP
C

Colin0912

Thank you all for your help i went with a more abrupt method and hack sawed the fixed cup into sections and rleased it a replaced the BB with a Cartridge One

Top Bottom