BB frame cross threaded, help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HOU5EY

Today I attempted to change the bottom bracket on my old mountain bike. Whilst I was unscrewing the non drive side cup I came across a problem. The thread had gone and was just turning round and round and not coming out. Eventually I managed to get it out but now when I've put the new one in I can't get the cup to screw in properly, the thread inside the frame is damaged. Is there anything that can be done or is the frame now ruined?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look at SJS cycles. They have a wide range of BBs that can fit thread damaged frames. This is assuming square taper or ISIS not external bearings.

Last edited:
Today I attempted to change the bottom bracket on my old mountain bike. Whilst I was unscrewing the non drive side cup I came across a problem. The thread had gone and was just turning round and round and not coming out. Eventually I managed to get it out but now when I've put the new one in I can't get the cup to screw in properly, the thread inside the frame is damaged. Is there anything that can be done or is the frame now ruined?
Hope all's not lost. You'll get good advice on here if it can be rectified :highfive:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Look at SJS cycles. They have a wide range of BBs that can fit thread damaged frames. This is assuming square taper or ISIS not external bearings.
Even if external bearings you could use the praxis or kcnc bottom brackets as the two parts screw together internal of the bottom bracket, so can also be over come

Tojo

Über Member

Don't try to screw anything else into the BB yet, the threads in the frame may be retrievable, Where a bout's in the country are you, if you are anywhere near me I have bb tread chaser for ENG only at the minute, if your not near me your lbs may have some and may be remedy it, its def worth trying that FIRST.

Drago

Legendary Member
Decent LBS is where you should a go. If the thread isn't too far gone it might be retrievable. If not, and the frame is worth the expense, there are several techniques which may save the day.

Top Bottom