BB Problem advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sayek1

My BB sounds like it has a constant knocking like someone is bouncing a solid piece of plastic off the BB - knocking for the whole of my 40mile round trip commute.

It obviously isn't normal, but I just want to make sure what it is. With luck I should have a new bike in the next few days so if anyone reckons it should be OK for a while I'll live on with it.

Its many years since I tinkered with a bike and the last time I looked we didn't have BB's/cassettes - I think it we had cotter pins & ball-bearings.

Thanks
K

C

chillyuk

Just a few days ago I had identical symptoms. Turned out to be one of my pedals. I only replaced them with Raleigh pedals a couple of months ago. Now fitted some decent quality items and the fault has gone away.

Otherwise, check your BB for play. Hold both cranks and try to rock them. Ideally there should be no more than the slightest trace of play, preferably none discernable.

Hope you get it sorted.

02GF74

Über Member
it could also be the crank arm being a bit loose - I had this on shimano splined BB and was convinved the rhythmic clicking was BB - was relieved to find that tightening up the bolt sorted it as a) is was iltegra and :blush: hardly any miles done on it.

The Eighth Man

I had the same problem, it sounds like the BB but it could be anything. My click turned out to be a seat post that needed greasing.

Top Bottom