New BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Needed a fix ,new one fitted 35€ . Pleased with that for the Shimano pipe type. Never cleaned bike and shop never bothered .

1000020679.jpg

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Needed a fix ,new one fitted 35€ . Pleased with that for the Shimano pipe type. Never cleaned bike and shop never bothered .

Well done.
What is the number of the BB you have fitted so we have an idea of what it is you have changed.
Some pictures would be nice when you can post them.👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Presumably the you mean the BB bearings not the entire thing?
Very easy job with Hollowtech, parts would be about €20 so quite reasonable.
Was it eligible for the recall?

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Its the BB unit. A lot more work for the bike shop to renew just the bearings, so it's easier to fit complete BB . Recall? Cranks are fine.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Never cleaned bike and shop never bothered
You don't know the shop isn't bothered: maybe they were just polite (about the shite).
If you were replacing this BB yourself, wouldn't you be just a teeny weeny bit tempted to give the bike (or at least that area of the frame) a little clean. After all you'd carefully clean the BB shell threads before installing the new BB.
Is that a crack I can see in the right hand chainstay?
Having said that, it's great to see a bike that's being well used!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Sorry maybe I'm being a bit thick but what do you mean by the 'complete BB'?

I expect Sallar is referring to the fact that replacement Hollowtech bearings come as a complete unit, so bearings, cups, cones and centre sleeve. Whilst you could extract the bearings if you had the time and patience, they are designed to be replaced as a complete disposable unit.

The recall only effects Dura Ace and Ultegra road cranks, Sallar has a Deore XT crankset on their bike.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
why would pay a shop to do something as simple as fit a hollowtech BB

why would you risk getting grit and stuff in the very fine threads of a BB buy being a lazy tart and not cleaning the area before doing it?

I'm not sure this is a post the OP should be proud of?

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Presumably the you mean the BB bearings not the entire thing?
Very easy job with Hollowtech, parts would be about €20 so quite reasonable.
Was it eligible for the recall?

why would pay a shop to do something as simple as fit a hollowtech BB

why would you risk getting grit and stuff in the very fine threads of a BB buy being a lazy tart and not cleaning the area before doing it?

I'm not sure this is a post the OP should be proud of?
We are on holiday,do I carry a BB tool. I am proud that I support the small independent cycle shops 😄

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Was this done in a Spanish LBS? Any I have used were very reasonable (in a UK sense)
Spanish bike shop repairs are good value. They usually have end of winter and summer sales ,gets rid of last year's stock. Most Spanish cyclist wear nice gear so some good deals crop up. Quite like the Gobik gear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
The shop did clean around the BB, pic of mine after stripped down for going home. chainring side is stuck solid, lube and a hammer or its out to Wheelcraft.

1000020762.jpg

Top Bottom