BB upgrade from sqaure taper to shimano Hollowtech II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

i have always used square taper but now looking to "improve" performance of my bike. I have a Montague folding bike by the way..

A friend gave me a new Shimano Hollowtech II BB cos he didnt want it.

If i do upgrade and buy the associated cranks etc, will i gain any noticeable improvements in terms of weight saving and ride quality from having a 'stiffer' BB?

The square taper that i have on now has run faultlessly for over 4 years and i use the bike almost daily.

Has anyone else gone from square taper to Hollowtech II and found it worthwhile/not worthwhile???

Cheers

w

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Would not have thought you would feel any differance at all, but i have been wrong before.:whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have Square taper on one bike and Hollowtech on another.

No noticeable difference in performance. But Hollowtech is easier to work with - i.e. clean, remove, replace. Just got to buy special tool

PpPete

Legendary Member
You are unlikely to notice the difference.
I only changed on one bike because I picked up a bargain HT2 set that had 175mm cranks (supposedly more suited to my more longer legs than the standard 170) but TBH I've not noticed the difference from either HT2 or 5mm longer cranks.
My "best bike" still runs very happily with square taper.

If your square taper cartridge BB is knackered and your front rings are worn out at the same time then maybe worth changing - otherwise I'd say don't bother.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It is probably one of those things were the difference is minimal in isolation, but if you did it at the same time as lots of other upgrades you would feel the cumulative advantage.

OP
OP

139NI

Blimey. No body thought it was a good idea to upgrade under the circumstances.

Unless someone posts a spectacular reason for upgrading from square taper to Hollowtech 2 , I think i will leave it until the square taper finally wears out to do anything. The much maligned square taper has served me well and shows no sign of dying.

By the way, what is a real test that the BB has worn out??

Thank you everyone who posted - Cheers..........!

w

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blimey. No body thought it was a good idea to upgrade under the circumstances.

Unless someone posts a spectacular reason for upgrading from square taper to Hollowtech 2 , I think i will leave it until the square taper finally wears out to do anything. The much maligned square taper has served me well and shows no sign of dying.

Thank you everyone who posted - Cheers..........!

w

No point in changing it Will, you won't see any improvement on that beast of yours.

What is a real test that BB has worn out?
Grinding, clunking and play in the cranks.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'm a Campagnolo user and if they want me to go back to the old fashioned, slow but steady square taper BB's then they are going to have to prize the Ultra Torque cranks from my cold dead hands.

Go for it.

ohnovino

Large Member

Take the chain off the chainwheels and spin the cranks. They should spin freely in beautiful silence. If they clunk and grind then the bb's on the way out. The other test is to grab a crank in each hand and see if you can pull/push them towards/away from the frame. There shouldn't be any movement away from the vertical, but if there is then again something is loose or dying.

Top Bottom