BB30 cranks creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FMurray

Regular
Hi all,

FSA gossamer bb30 cranks seem to be creaking/clicking when putting any kind of power through the pedals. A consistent click with every pedal rotation. You reckon new bearings needed? Or just a bit of grease?

I've done a little research but a bit apprehensive about taking the crank off given my lack of tools/experience. What would I need to sort this out if it is bearing?

Any helps/tips would be great!!

Cheers

si_c

Guru
Probably just needs the bearings cleaned and lubricated. Depending on the particular FSA crankset you have there is usually a self extracting bolt on the non-drive (left) side, just put in an hex wrench and loosen it off, the crankset should just slide out perfectly easily. Make a note of any washers or shims that are on the shaft - there is usually at least one wave washer on the left side.

You can then remove the dust caps from the bearings with an awl - be careful not to damage the nylon too much - and then squeeze some extra grease in. Put a bit of grease on the crankshaft (a very thin film should be sufficient) and then put the cranks back on ensuring that the washers go back in the same place and then use the same bolt to tighten them on again that you used to take it off.

There are plenty of youtube videos showing the process (see here for an official FSA one).

Top Bottom