BB30 - Left crank keeps falling off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Happened three times now, just seems to unwind itself and then fall off! Put it on really tight again and then still happens. Is it because the thread will have stripped off? If so, what would be the solution?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Is it square taper or Hollowtech?

Sharky

Guru
I had that a few months ago with a square taper LH crank.

I had been swapping them from bike to bike, but didn't bother cleaning the threads properly. When I finally did, I found a fragment of something that was stopping the bolt from being screwed in all the way. Cleaned it properly and put it back and has been OK since.

Happened three times now, just seems to unwind itself and then fall off! Put it on really tight again and then still happens. Is it because the thread will have stripped off? If so, what would be the solution?

What part is unwinding itself?

Stripped thread is easy to diagnose. If you can't, I suggest take it to a bike shop.

Make sure you’ve side loaded the tension of the cranks using the little plastic deely and the plastic tool that comes with most HT2 tools, before you tighten the bolts on the crank.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
What part is unwinding itself?

Stripped thread is easy to diagnose. If you can't, I suggest take it to a bike shop.
Just as I pedal I feel the crank getting loose where it screws into the opposite part - the long barrel part that comes on the drive side part of a BB30 crankset.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to have a similar issue... turned out I wasn't getting enough torque with a standard short alen key so bought some longer ones. It solved it for me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Make sure you’ve side loaded the tension of the cranks using the little plastic deely and the plastic tool that comes with most HT2 tools, before you tighten the bolts on the crank.
I'm not sure if it's a shimano crankset, more likely a FSA like this. Perhaps the OP could make it clear;

33621.jpg

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Btw, just tried cleaning thread and reapplying. Gave it some - but not too much - and now the bolt gets to a certain point of tightness, then slips to become looser again. Is it now completely knackered?

Btw, just tried cleaning thread and reapplying. Gave it some - but not too much - and now the bolt gets to a certain point of tightness, then slips to become looser again. Is it now completely knackered?
It sounds like you’ve got a stripped thread. Check the bolt first, if that’s okay, you’ve stripped the thread, and, although you could re tap the thread, it’s probably better to get a new crank.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
It sounds like you’ve got a stripped thread. Check the bolt first, if that’s okay, you’ve stripped the thread, and, although you could re tap the thread, it’s probably better to get a new crank.
Could I get a left arm crank only? Would that work, if indeed I have got a stripped thread? I only ask because 46/36 fsa cranks are like hens' teeth!

Top Bottom