BBC iplayer...what do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonesy

Guru
Hmmm. I tried it a few months back and completely failed to get it to work properly. Problems with the wretched M$ digital rights management system. Maybe they've released an improved version?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Get a lot of the progs I watch on the cable video on demand equivalent (which predated iPlayer by a long time) so I don't use iPlayer perse but it is similar thing. So depending on your philosophy I do/don't use these kinds of services. That and I'd get traffic shaped if I'd used iPlayer!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I used it for the first time tonight after seeing the ads and watched the Casualty I missed last week... so it gets a vote from me.

redfox

marinyork

Of course the infuriating thing now is if you have a pvr/vod/iplayer etc the many, many repeats on BBC1/2/Three/Four/HD become more irritating!

mondobongo

Über Member
Quite useful if you miss something on BBC as not everything they show makes it to 'On Demand TV' on Virgin.

marinyork

I meant catch up. Surely with VOD you're not suggesting that content is missed out accidentally like episode 16 of a series.

Once when I wanted to use iPlayer more recently for top gear, they didn't put it on for 48hrs for some bizarre reason, so in that respect it isn't any less crazy than catch up.

barq

I like it in principle, but wish it worked a bit better. I've lost count of the number of times the player has frozen, or failed to resume after I paused something. Then I have to start viewing from the beginning as it won't let me jump forward. I hope they get these issues ironed out because it feels very unpolished compared to YouTube.

domtyler

Über Member
I used it today to watch the last Robin Hood (a good day to die). Downloaded the file for more flexibility than streaming which can lead to some of the problems touched on above. Tried to burn it to DVD so that we could watch it on the TV downstairs but was foiled by the dreaded DRM which I could remove using Tunebite but the resulting file was hideously jumpy and unwatchable. So ended up watching alone on the main PC upstairs. Apart from that it is a pretty good service.

What I don't get though is that I couldn't find anything under that Ts and Cs that mentioned that you had to be a license payer to download!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
as a mac fiend i'm annoyed it's windoze ie only, but new macbook can be booted in windoze vista (and run faster than most pc notebooks) so at least i can use it that way. virgin's on demand stuff is easier, but i kind of like it anyway. a mac version is in the pipeline too.

col

Legendary Member
NickM said:
Well, they can ask...

They couldnt enforce this like they do with tv's could they?I mean how would they,and would it end up being a licence for just haveing a pc,because it could be used to watch ?

Top Bottom