BBC politics advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
did anybody just see this advert. goes on how politics doesn't affect , apart from ...... lists a whole raft of things and then it mentions cycle lanes, while showing a cyclist ripping a mirror off.

stiff letter to the Beeb i think

sheddy

Legendary Member
linky ?

Yes I thought this as well. The only person they show in a bad light is the cyclist causing criminal damage to the car. Why? Why no just show a cyclist cycling on the road. Why do you have to show the cyclist causing damage?

It's kind of saying to me "get interested in politics and get law breaking cyclists off the road"

StuartG

slower but further
Politics at best is about reconciling the wishes of different people/groups for mutual benefit. At worst it is the dominance of a powerful group (majority) or individual (dictator) over an oppressed group. Oppressed groups can get pretty shirty. Ripping off a wing mirror does indicate an issue between two groups which has not been adequately resolved.

The political question is whether to defuse such situations by managing roads fair for all (whatever that means) or the wishes of the majority should be enforced and objectors criminalised. Which preety well sums up the current position. Regarding this particular cyclist as victim or hooligan pretty well shows your approach to politics.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
Politics at best is about reconciling the wishes of different people/groups for mutual benefit. At worst it is the dominance of a powerful group (majority) or individual (dictator) over an oppressed group. Oppressed groups can get pretty shirty. Ripping off a wing mirror does indicate an issue between two groups which has not been adequately resolved.

The political question is whether to defuse such situations by managing roads fair for all (whatever that means) or the wishes of the majority should be enforced and objectors criminalised. Which preety well sums up the current position. Regarding this particular cyclist as victim or hooligan pretty well shows your approach to politics.

so why not show all the other "issues that need resolving" in the advert in such a negative light. all the advert does is reinforce a negative stereotype that cyclist action groups are working hard to dispel. doesn't help . thought the beeb were supposed to be impartial.
why didn't they show a car close passing a bike riding in a cycle lane ?? that demonstartes the same point and also several others.

StuartG

slower but further
All the advert does is reinforce a negative stereotype that cyclist action groups are working hard to dispel.
That's your interpretation. It wasn't mine. Cyclists do retaliate against poor motoring. They shouldn't, but they do. That's a fact not a stereotype. Cyclists actions groups (which?) trying to cover that up is not a help. Addressing the root cause is what politics and the CAGs should be about.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
That's your interpretation. It wasn't mine. Cyclists do retaliate against poor motoring. They shouldn't, but they do. That's a fact not a stereotype. Cyclists actions groups (which?) trying to cover that up is not a help. Addressing the root cause is what politics and the CAGs should be about.
Sterotype

siadwell

Guru
Actually, there were two clips portraying cyclists in a negative light.

As well as the wing mirror knocking incident (not the best way to illustrate cyclists being squeezed on the roads), there was also a cyclist leaning on a car's passenger window.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
Actually, there were two clips portraying cyclists in a negative light.

As well as the wing mirror knocking incident (not the best way to illustrate cyclists being squeezed on the roads), there was also a cyclist leaning on a car's passenger window.

I just merged it all into one TBH . both are negative portrayals.

Bassjunkieuk

Veteran
Also saw the ad last night and am still trying to find it online. Was a bit miffed and annoyed as to why they show the cyclist behaving as such. If they wanted balance maybe they could have shown the car driver on their phone?

Also StuartG why shouldn't cyclists retaliate against bad driving. How else are drivers meant to realize what they just did isn't acceptable? IMHO if you don't complain about the poor driving your just saying that it is acceptable to behave like that and the status quo will carry on.

I'll often yell or throw my hands up if a driver behaves particularly dangerously or inconsiderately around me. I'll even moan at riders who put themselves in what I consider to be dangerous places. If I get a reaction all the better as the driver/cyclist may then think about what they've done and possibly adjust their behaviour in the future (wishful thinking I know but one can hope....)

machew

Veteran
A few nights ago, I was listening on the radio and on came the BBC politics, she waffled on and then stated "How much CO2 your card produces, that down to politics". Is is my arse, it's down to you how much CO2 your car produces

Top Bottom