BBC Sports Personality of the Year (SPOTY) 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
Triathlon is a wimp's sport.

Indeed, why be crap at one sport when you can be crap at 3?

Dave7

Legendary Member
It wasn't very sporting though was it? Surely the other competitors were cheated, Jonny over cooked it.
If drafting isn't allowed how can carrying be?!
Sure, a great act of brotherly compassion, but it wasn't great sportsmanship in the context of the race series.
I would have agreed with you but it was explained on radio..........apparently its specifically "advocated" in the rules. Seems wrong to me.

screenman

Legendary Member
It wasn't very sporting though was it? Surely the other competitors were cheated, Jonny over cooked it.
Sure, a great act of brotherly compassion, but it wasn't great sportsmanship in the context of the race series.

I think the others knew the rules before the race started, it was judged legal.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I believe that in triathlon drafting is allowed. As is getting assistance from another competitor.

JoshM

Except that it was Ali, not Johnny whose performance is being discussed. If you view the SPOTY award as an indication as to who we would want our kids to look up to, and aspire to be like, then there are reasons to discredit Ali's performance. After all, isn't looking after one another something we want our young people to do, and something we'd hope they'd learn through sport?

Add to that a brilliant performance at Rio, and he's definitely deserving of the short list at least, I'd say.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And here's the nominees

_92693149_contenders_grid.png

Nicola Adams - Boxing, Gareth Bale - Football, Alistair Brownlee - Triathlon, Sophie Christiansen - Equestrian, Kadeena Cox - Athletics/Cycling, Mo Farah - Athletics, Jason Kenny - Cycling, Laura Kenny - Cycling.

Andy Murray - Tennis, Adam Peaty - Swimming, Kate Richardson-Walsh - Hockey, Nick Skelton - Equestrian, Dame Sarah Storey - Cycling, Jamie Vardy - Football, Max Whitlock - Gymnastics, Danny Willett - Golf.

Methinks it's Murray's again this year.

Attachments

• _92693149_contenders_grid.png
    _92693149_contenders_grid.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 42

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I would like to see Mo Farrah win, because he hasnt won it before, and he has been dominant in a sport where we traditionally get beaten

Top Bottom