BBC Sports Personality?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennykool

Now I may be jumping the gun a bit but if Cav puts in a performance at the Olympics and wins a gold. That added to his 4 stage wins at the Tour, surely he should be in line for at least a nomination for BBC Sports Personality of the Year????????

Not saying he'll win but even a nomination , I think ,would be a huge boost to the cycling world.

Never know tho he may win it unless Lewis hamilton wins that car thing he does!!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
If Hamilton wins the F1 championship the chances of anyone else getting a look in will be slim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
kennykool

kennykool

I agree....

But do you think that Cav will even get a nomination?? I mean Zara Phillips seems to be in their every year for Horse Riding and the Tour has become a big deal in uk the last couple of year

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think Hamilton will get nominated however he does this year (it's starting to look up this year) even though McLaren traditionally suffer some kind of slump after a championship challenging year (last year). To someone who has just started watching TdF properly (saw some of the giro too) I think there's very little recognition of Cav, his victories in both events or his potential in the media in general. A nomination would sure be good though.

Smeggers

Cavs success at BBC Sports Personality depends purely on how he does at the Olympics.

If he gets Gold I suspect he'll come 2nd or 3rd. After Lewis hopefully!

OP
OP
kennykool

kennykool

Yeah the track team deserve one too. Amazing World record in Manchester.

Lets hope they beat it again at the Olympics...then they cannot ignore cycling.

MichaelM

Guru
If he beats Roy Jones, I reckon Calzaghe for a second year.

kennykool said:
Yeah the track team deserve one too. Amazing World record in Manchester.

Lets hope they beat it again at the Olympics...then they cannot ignore cycling.

Steve Peat didn't get much of a mention a few years back (MTB I know, but still not much attention).

gavintc

Guru
kennykool said:
Cheers Gavin.....How to knock the wind out of my sails!:wacko:

To an extent I was being flippant, but the success of cycling just does not really strike home to the average Joe on the street. Sad. Maybe, if Beijing is a repeat of Manchester and the majority of UK's medal list comes from the track, we might start to stir recognition.

Generic CC BBC Sports Personality of the Year post. Feel free to insert alternative names and re-post. :angry:

<grumble about Nicole Cooke not winning last year>
<complaint about Adrian Chiles' silly questions>
<general whinge about football>
<Sweeping assertion that NO OTHER sports personality has achieved as much as Nicole Cooke/Vicky Pendleton>
<Moan about cycling coverage on tv generally>
Etc. :wacko:

mondobongo

Über Member
There was a big push to get Peaty in a few years ago and it was done across a couple of Forums STW etc.

We could have a go at getting Cav submitted but would need to be paying attention to when nominations can be submitted and then get around the Forums getting people to vote.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The thing with cycling is its a massive participation sport/hobby so i really don't understand why it doesn't get more coverage on the BBC and other mainstream channels.
I know the ITV show is littered with Ads but it is getting watched, so i suspect its a matter of time before the BBC jjump on the back of Cycling and start to harp on about. but tbh i would rather they didn't. I like my minority sport.

Cyclist winning the SPOTY? NEVER!!

Top Bottom