BBC Sports Personality?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
asterix said:
How abiut Cadel Evans for foreign sports personality. How would he do at the award ceremony:ohmy:

He would need a personality to win that one. Did you not see his post ride interview last night ;) Other riders happy to speak - Evans jumped straight into his van.

Steve Austin said:
The thing with cycling is its a massive participation sport/hobby so i really don't understand why it doesn't get more coverage on the BBC and other mainstream channels.
I know the ITV show is littered with Ads but it is getting watched, so i suspect its a matter of time before the BBC jjump on the back of Cycling and start to harp on about. but tbh i would rather they didn't. I like my minority sport.

Cyclist winning the SPOTY? NEVER!!

Too true. Best way to ruin something you enjoy.

monnet

Guru
MichaelM said:
If he beats Roy Jones, I reckon Calzaghe for a second year.

Hasn't the fight been postponed due to Calzaghe injuring his hand? I don't think the new schedule would allow for Calzaghe to fight in time to recieve a nomination (at least on the grounds of fighting Jones).

What about Cav getting a nomination for young sports personality - they sometimes come from less mainstream sports at least.

Steve Austin said:
The thing with cycling is its a massive participation sport/hobby so i really don't understand why it doesn't get more coverage on the BBC and other mainstream channels.
I know the ITV show is littered with Ads but it is getting watched, so i suspect its a matter of time before the BBC jjump on the back of Cycling and start to harp on about. but tbh i would rather they didn't. I like my minority sport.

So you're moaning that it doesn't get the coverage that it deserves and if it did, then you'd moan again because you want it to be kept as a minority sport.:wacko:
Bloody hell....:biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
maybe i should put some smilies in my post to lift the mood :biggrin:, i wasn't moaning :biggrin: i was just commenting:huh: on my observations on the BBC and its showing of Cycling :wacko:

I like their inability to show cycling :sad:
it keeps my sport profile small :biggrin:

CotterPin

Steve Austin said:
maybe i should put some smilies in my post to lift the mood :biggrin:, i wasn't moaning :angry: i was just commenting:huh: on my observations on the BBC and its showing of Cycling :biggrin:

I like their inability to show cycling :biggrin:
it keeps my sport profile small :biggrin:

Didn't the Beeb give up plenty of airtime to the World Track Championships earlier this year? Possibly as a result of the anticipated success of the British team (although maybe also because they were in the UK). And now that Cav did so well at the Tour there is a danger that cycling might have a higher profile after all, Steve!

CotterPin said:
Didn't the Beeb give up plenty of airtime to the World Track Championships earlier this year? Possibly as a result of the anticipated success of the British team (although maybe also because they were in the UK). And now that Cav did so well at the Tour there is a danger that cycling might have a higher profile after all, Steve!
Hush, we're an oppressed minority and we like it that way!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Steve Austin said:

tommy simpson won it in '65, so you never know.

i suspect a campaign to get cav the honour will go further than for nicole cooke, purely because his achievements will have had a higher profile.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There are only two things that could ever get a cyclist the award.

1. A Tour de France win.
2. The World Road Championship (Mens).

Nobody but a cyclist is going to vote for the winner of the madison or the pursuit, whether at the Olympics or the worlds.

And you can forget about a female cyclist ever winning it.

Top Bottom