BBC2: Trust me, I'm a Doctor - did anybody watch this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anybody watch this? I'm no medical researcher but it struck me that their experiments were a bit short on sample sizes, for example where they looked at the long-term effect on fat burning of exercising before or after breakfast they only had 30 subjects. Surely you'd need far more than that to be able to claim your results were significant?

Here is yesterday's programme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04j9gny

Aside from the slightly sketchy whizz-bang experiments, I liked their debunking of the energy drinks myth and the antioxidants scam.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've not watched it ( though enjoyed 'The truth about Calories' in a similar vein). I think these programs make a bare minimum experiment to dramatise for telebox, principles that have been determined and/or are already well known in science rather than be definitive in themselves.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think experiment is the operative word. It was only an experiment from a brand new theory concerning the way men and women burn fat. This was done for the programme and was not meant to be a definitive answer. There is still a lot of research to be done in that area and the programme just wanted to see if they could get similar results to what the research so far shows.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In this case, it seemed to be new research, and the beeb funded a small-scale trial which should now be used for a proper large-scale trial. The results for women were reasonably strong, I suspect, but for men looked less strong - but that doesn't mean they're wrong.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yeah - the fat burning research was interesting. The results showed trends which didn't apply to all individuals.

The bloke who presents it is the same idiot who advocates that you go on a fast for two days per week to lose weight.
I cannot think if a more difficult way of eating less or any way that would mess up a great chunk of my life more. So I am out.

I did watch the Calories one. Advocated that it was better to do an exercise that you could do over a longer period (rather than a short blast in the gym) but chose housework as the example and did not mention cycling as an option to achieve this.
It was a rather wasted opportunity on many fronts.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My way of losing weight after a sedentary two-week overseas business trip eating hotel food and drinking lots of beer? Stop drinking beer.
Cutting the beer out stopped me gaining weight and (unlike Over The Hill) I found intermittent fasting to be a simple, effective and healthy way of losing weight.

I slipped from fasting twice a week to once, but that is not enough to compensate for my cake/chocolate habit so this year it will be back to twice, and I will wean myself off the sweet stuff.

As for the TV show ... I recorded it, but have not yet watched it.

Like this programme and always watch it when it's on.

The protein thing only really debunked the fact that it won't make you any stronger but it did show that whey protein does go straight to any muscle that has been exercised.Would have been good if they could have followed up the latter and seen if it does help repair damaged muscle which is the main reason for using protein shakes really.

The energy drink thing though was good and I've been meaning to make my own up for a while so will have to give it a go.

Top Bottom