BBC2: Trust me, I'm a Doctor - did anybody watch this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Whatever a diet expert says, wait 5 minutes for the next expert to pop up for a contradictory opinion.

Butter = bad, use margerine.
Margerine now bad, use butter as its more natural.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My way of losing weight after a sedentary two-week overseas business trip eating hotel food and drinking lots of beer? Stop drinking beer.
I feel your pain.
My trips tend to be quite long days on my feet in wellies marching up and down production lines alternating with days often spent travelling or on my backside where boredom and uncertainty tends to lead to excess snacking and beer consumption. I find it hard to get the balance right from one day to the next, however alcohol is a clear factor.

So this year I'm going to try more soup and salads, less red meat, zero desserts, zero snacks (crisps peanuts etc) more fruit, veg and yoghurt. Generally low carb approach where practicable. 1 glass wine max with dinner, none with lunch, 2 beers max per day when away, much more water. 1 beer or wine per weekday only when not travelling. Weekends flexible according to circumstances.

shoot it's gonna be miserable ....

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The bloke who presents it is the same idiot who advocates that you go on a fast for two days per week to lose weight.
I haven't seen this episode of the programme yet but it is usually presented by Dr Michael Mosley, who was the one who did the section on the 5:2 fasting regime some time ago (gosh - was it really 3 years ?? :ohmy:).

From your post quoted above, it would appear that you have not fully understood that the purpose of the regime in his trial was NOT WEIGHT LOSS. There was (still is ...) a thread running about this here and I made this point in that thread here.

It was the media who jumped on the story as being a way the latest 'fad' way to loose weight, which can occur as a side effect/benefit. :smile: That was never the prupose of the research and trial.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The information on fat was interesting.... That I maybe don't need to feel quite as guilty as I do for not being the right side of the BMI 25 line:whistle:.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Not when you trim down, increase your power/weight ratio, feel healthier and more energised and, as a consequence, fly up hills :bicycle: like a mountain goat ! ^_^

Now you just need to stick to it - that's the grimmer part that needs more incentive/ motivation - maybe ... :thumbsup:

PK99

Legendary Member
I haven't seen this episode of the programme yet but it is usually presented by Dr Michael Mosley, who was the one who did the section on the 5:2 fasting regime some time ago (gosh - was it really 3 years ?? :ohmy:).

From your post quoted above, it would appear that you have not fully understood that the purpose of the regime in his trial was NOT WEIGHT LOSS. There was (still is ...) a thread running about this here and I made this point in that thread here.

It was the media who jumped on the story as being a way the latest 'fad' way to loose weight, which can occur as a side effect/benefit. :smile: That was never the prupose of the research and trial.

But it is a very easy and effective way of losing and then controlling weight, a my wife (1.5 stone) and I (2 stone) found over 9 months a couple of years ago. most of the weight has stayed off.

The protein/muscle thing was interesting (= there is enough protein in a normal diet, no need for supplements after the gym) but I'd be interested to see the results for athletes working at their limits on most days of the week rather than a normal guy doing a gym session.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4091329, member: 43827"]They didn't touch on the best news this week. Black Pudding is now a super-food that is good for you. ^_^[/QUOTE]
Maybe but try eating it whilst considering this.

It's a fried scab.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I feel your pain.
My trips tend to be quite long days on my feet in wellies marching up and down production lines alternating with days often spent travelling or on my backside where boredom and uncertainty tends to lead to excess snacking and beer consumption. I find it hard to get the balance right from one day to the next, however alcohol is a clear factor.

So this year I'm going to try more soup and salads, less red meat, zero desserts, zero snacks (crisps peanuts etc) more fruit, veg and yoghurt. Generally low carb approach where practicable. 1 glass wine max with dinner, none with lunch, 2 beers max per day when away, much more water. 1 beer or wine per weekday only when not travelling. Weekends flexible according to circumstances.

I'm sure I must have seen you in a theathrow departure lounge someplace!

For me it's that same lounge, the free stuff...makes me graze on bad food to the point that I am full before I arrive for dinner at the hotel...and yet tradition demands I have a full meal then too. I'm a sucker for tradition.

It was the media who jumped on the story as being a way the latest 'fad' way to loose weight, which can occur as a side effect/benefit. :smile: That was never the purpose of the research and trial.

I do accept your point as to the intention of the fasting regime and don't want to go over old ground but sorry it does sound a bit ridiculous.

When people talk of weight loss they generally mean losing the excessive fat that has built up on them (so fat loss and weight loss are interchangeable in this context). This is known to build up both on the outer parts of the body under the skin where it is most noticeable and also internally around various organs. He is then (for some reason) singling out the internal fat.

Fasting is doing no more than depriving us of energy/calories so that we then burn up the fat. I am not aware of any credible research which shows that a big shortfall in calories 2 days a week rather than a modest shortfall every day makes any difference to where the body then draws the energy/fat from.

So to try to make some claim that by depriving the body of calories in a certain way will take fat from a certain place and so be better for us does seem to be quackery.

Lullabelle

Banana
I think the reasoning behind fasting is that many moons ago our ancestors would catch an animal, feast then when food wasn't abundant they had to live on berries etc... so I assume that is the principle

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
The problem I have with stuff like this is it always seems to be slanted to using exercise as a means of losing weight, rather than, as others have said, a lifestyle choice as a means of staying healthier and happier.

People are always looking for shortcuts and gimmicks to make it all a little easier and less painful, and to allow them more time to update their Facebook status.

Just do it most days for the rest of you life and don't bother buying the t-shirt that tells you to.

If you're overweight, the weight will come off whether fasted or otherwise.

The problem I have with stuff like this is it always seems to be slanted to using exercise as a means of losing weight, rather than, as others have said, a lifestyle choice as a means of staying healthier and happier.

People are always looking for shortcuts and gimmicks to make it all a little easier and less painful, and to allow them more time to update their Facebook status.

Just do it most days for the rest of you life and don't bother buying the t-shirt that tells you to.

If you're overweight, the weight will come off whether fasted or otherwise.

Well said!
100 years ago obesity was not a problem (and still is not a problem in most of the world).
Then we started eating more fat, more sugar and more processed junk food and sitting around on our arses all day at work and in front of the TV all evening.
Does not take a genius to join the dots.

The Calories programme made me cringe when it had one family standing in a gym repeatedly picking up a heavy weight and getting chased up and down steps. People get the idea that this is what they need to do to burn some calories rather than a pleasant cycle or walking to work.

Ganymede

Veteran
Well said!
100 years ago obesity was not a problem (and still is not a problem in most of the world).
Then we started eating more fat, more sugar and more processed junk food and sitting around on our arses all day at work and in front of the TV all evening.
Does not take a genius to join the dots.

The Calories programme made me cringe when it had one family standing in a gym repeatedly picking up a heavy weight and getting chased up and down steps. People get the idea that this is what they need to do to burn some calories rather than a pleasant cycle or walking to work.
To be fair in one of his programmes Dr M went on a 40 minute walk as part of an experiment. A very interesting one about fat in the blood and how exercise removes it. Involved a big Scots breakfast with black pudding in it, iirc.

BTW
Me on ordinary diet: "Oh god I can never have cake again. Oh god. Oh god" *succumbs, eats cake, fails to lose weight*

Me on 5:2: "Oh god I can't have cake. Never mind, will have some tomorrow" *does not eat cake that day, eats less cake in general as a result, loses weight and keeps it off*

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Did someone say Cake?

c7a37eefb54a3e1fe1c790f1d2ff0286.jpg

Top Bottom