BBC2: Trust me, I'm a Doctor - did anybody watch this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Well said!
100 years ago obesity was not a problem (and still is not a problem in most of the world).
Then we started eating more fat, more sugar and more processed junk food and sitting around on our arses all day at work and in front of the TV all evening.
Does not take a genius to join the dots.

The Calories programme made me cringe when it had one family standing in a gym repeatedly picking up a heavy weight and getting chased up and down steps. People get the idea that this is what they need to do to burn some calories rather than a pleasant cycle or walking to work.

The programme very clearly made the point at the family who spent the morning cleaning the house burned more fat than the family who went to the gym and said explicitly that steady exercise / active life style is the best option

PK99

Legendary Member
T
BTW
Me on ordinary diet: "Oh god I can never have cake again. Oh god. Oh god" *succumbs, eats cake, fails to lose weight*

Me on 5:2: "Oh god I can't have cake. Never mind, will have some tomorrow" *does not eat cake that day, eats less cake in general as a result, loses weight and keeps it off*

exactly my experience. and that of a number of folks i have pointed to the diet

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Natural as in not full of synthetic gloop
Margarine need only be oil, water, salt and carrot (because too-white spread freaks some people out AIUI). None of that's synthetic.

Manufacturers can just as easily add some junk to butter if they are so minded - I didn't find the current list of additives they can use and still call it "butter" but I'm sure some synthetics were on the list when I last looked.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The programme very clearly made the point at the family who spent the morning cleaning the house burned more fat than the family who went to the gym and said explicitly that steady exercise / active life style is the best option

For me a bit of DIY does the trick. A day lifting, cutting, chopping and shinning up ladders makes me feel much sharper and slimmer even if I don't actually lose any weight.

PK99

Legendary Member
For me a bit of DIY does the trick. A day lifting, cutting, chopping and shinning up ladders makes me feel much sharper and slimmer even if I don't actually lose any weight.

Just think, rather that wasting your time on DiY you could have paid a fortune to do the same bending/stretching/twisting/lifting with a bunch of other sweaty smelly people!

Sorry I did not put it very clearly in my post. If you were a couch potato and did not exercise, you are offered unpleasant housework or tedious gym as options. Why not offer cycling instead of housework and show the family having a pleasant walk or cycling through the countryside? It seemed the couch potato was the one who had a nice time playing with his kids and sitting around.

To be fair in one of his programmes Dr M went on a 40 minute walk as part of an experiment. A very interesting one about fat in the blood and how exercise removes it. Involved a big Scots breakfast with black pudding in it, iirc.

BTW
Me on ordinary diet: "Oh god I can never have cake again. Oh god. Oh god" *succumbs, eats cake, fails to lose weight*

Me on 5:2: "Oh god I can't have cake. Never mind, will have some tomorrow" *does not eat cake that day, eats less cake in general as a result, loses weight and keeps it off*

Or you could just make a few changes in your diet that over time you would not notice or get to actually prefer.
I used to have two sugars in tea and coffee. Now I have none. A simple change that causes no suffering or trauma. 8 hot drinks =16 spoonfuls of sugar at 16cal each which is 256 calories or about 10% of my daily intake. Or equal to starving yourself for 3 days per month. I know which I prefer and can stick with.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Sorry I did not put it very clearly in my post. If you were a couch potato and did not exercise, you are offered unpleasant housework or tedious gym as options. Why not offer cycling instead of housework and show the family having a pleasant walk or cycling through the countryside? It seemed the couch potato was the one who had a nice time playing with his kids and sitting around.

I think the point they were trying to make was that you can exercise and burn calories no matter what you are doing and no matter where you are and that you don't have to go to a gym, or cycle, or walk to exercise and burn calories and fat. Any exercise, no matter what it is is a hell of a lot better than nothing,and the example of doing housework was just another way to iimprove youre fitness. If people dont like going to the gym, or cycling (and not everyone does) or walking or anything else, they can still get much needed exercise doing the most mundane things, like housework.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Calories programme made me cringe when it had one family standing in a gym repeatedly picking up a heavy weight and getting chased up and down steps. People get the idea that this is what they need to do to burn some calories rather than a pleasant cycle or walking to work.
I suggest you watch the program again ....

I think the point they were trying to make was that you can exercise and burn calories no matter what you are doing and no matter where you are and that you don't have to go to a gym, or cycle, or walk to exercise and burn calories and fat. Any exercise, no matter what it is is a hell of a lot better than nothing,and the example of doing housework was just another way to iimprove youre fitness. If people dont like going to the gym, or cycling (and not everyone does) or walking or anything else, they can still get much needed exercise doing the most mundane things, like housework.

I know the point it was trying to make but it did it very badly. Firstly as the couch potato man was huge, he burnt off the big breakfast sitting on his arse (so contrary to your conclusion).

The test was actually no exercise v steady exercise for a long time v intense short burst of exercise.

It then muddied this with a sport and a non-sport activity and by giving the lazy one a nice thing to do and the others unpleasant things.
Better would have been - reading a book v a 3 hour walk v a game of squash - three pleasant things. Then make the separate point that they can be normal things like housework or digging the garden.

Just seemed badly done with too many variables to me. Seemed to lack focus throughout; one minute testing calories stated on labels (concluded they were OK and reasonable - so pointless raising the issue) and then setting doritos alight to show the energy in them. But just my view. ^_^

Rezillo

TwoSheds
[QUOTE 4091329, member: 43827"]They didn't touch on the best news this week. Black Pudding is now a super-food that is good for you. ^_^[/QUOTE]

On the downside, it means that when I'm at the supermarket checkout with my week's breakfast supply (grilled with toast and scrambled egg) of S Howie's black pudding piled up on the conveyor, I now look like some mindless slave to the latest food fad.

Top Bottom