Be envious.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Me too. My pedals don’t have spanner flats on the spindle.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I like the look of that Hozan spanner but does it work any better than a standard Britool one that's been thinned down on a grinding wheel?
I do have a Park tools PW-3 pedal spanner, and an old cyclo one as well, but they work no better than the long handled 15mm spanner that I have used for years.

1631784576404.png

Alex321

Veteran
wouldn't dream of it and I wouldn't buy any pedal at all that had no flats.

You probably won't have that choice in a few years. Most new pedals seem to be built that way.

You probably won't have that choice in a few years. Most new pedals seem to be built that way.
thanks for the warning, may buy the odd new one
Thanks for the warning, may buy the odd new one,keep maintaining the ones I have. This i suppose is the doing of the metal shaving weenies?

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks for the warning, may buy the odd new one,keep maintaining the ones I have. This i suppose is the doing of the metal shaving weenies?
I don't think so actually. I think it is just seen as simpler and easier for the end user.

Most of the bike parts now use a hex key or torx bolt, to the extent that anybody doing any bike maintenance will have a set of allen keys, while they might not have a pedal spanner.

Assuming you have a decent quality allen key of the right size, it is also less likely to slip and round off the edges of he flats.

I doubt the difference in weight is more than a couple of grams, if any.

Top Bottom