Beach Clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Well done User9609 ... another plasticky thing that bugs me is the amount of plastic from silage wrap flying around the countryside, and flapping in the hedgerows ("witches knickers", I've heard it referred to as) ... ironically, there's so much of it that you stop noticing it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When getting on or off a Calmac ferry in Oban you have to wait until what we call the “ trolley dollies” reach the top of the ramp with wheely bins full of rubbish. A convoy of mostly wee lassies with high viz jackets and hard hats. From the outer isles ferries using a different linkspan a trailer load of trolleys usually comes off at some point.

AndyRM

XOXO
Good for you Reiver. Wouldnt it be nice if the council turned out and emptied the bins though.

They should have a national clean your beach day.

They do, the Great British Beach Clean which is the 3rd weekend in September. Differs slightly from regular ones as we're asked to document what we find.

I didn't take any pictures, but today's haul was mostly empty cans after some very nice weather over the last few days in the Costa del Whitley Bay.

Having twice witnessed galley staff on cross-channel ferries emerge from a door and toss two or three black bags of garbage over the side I believe that 95% of the rubbish on beaches comes from ships. Have you ever heard of a ship needing to unload rubbish from the voyage on reaching port?
Every boat I've been on over the last 20+ years.
Segregation of different categories is starting to get to the running out of different colours scenario. Segregation of electrical waste came into force in March. You do segregate your electrical waste at home, don't you? And then record it and get receipts from the bin man? It's been happening for longer than we've had different bins here.
Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I'm certain the ship I'm working on doesn't. Theres more dumped waste around here from local takeaways - but at least the food waste seems to disappear quickly. Think the urban foxes have developed a doner kebab habit.

Stephenite

Membå
Did you see the video I put up the link to? A British registered ship en route to Tromsø on the 18th April 2018 throwing boxes of stuff into the North Sea.

People are slobs. If they can get away with it they'll do it.

Stephenite

Membå
[QUOTE 5222308, member: 9609"]I did, it is pretty depressing and of little surprise.[/QUOTE]
There was a surprise when the boat came in to port. A full inspection and a potential fine of between £2000 and £50000. The coastguard say they seldom get so clear evidence as this.

Top Bottom