Beam Rack Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hello all. Has anyone had any experience of this type of of rack?

1125_1_Zoom.jpg

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/products-Beam-Rack-EX-MTX-Type-Seatpost-Rack_1125.htm

If so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used a similar one (Topeak, slightly different design than the one pictured) for a four-day road bike tour- travelled very light.

They are designed to be used with Topeak luggage (although I did manage to bodge an Altura pannier onto mine once).

If you can fit one a typical pannier rack is more flexible (in that you can use pretty much any panniers etc.) but if you need to remove the rack regularly then a beam rack might be useful.

There are two (maybe even three) different designs of Topeak beam rack, check the one you need for your type of bike- I think the information is on their website.

If you need to carry heavy loads they presumably aren't much good.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thanks very much indeed. You have confirmed what I thought.

Dave
palinurus said:
I used a similar one (Topeak, slightly different design than the one pictured) for a four-day road bike tour- travelled very light.

They are designed to be used with Topeak luggage (although I did manage to bodge an Altura pannier onto mine once).

If you can fit one a typical pannier rack is more flexible (in that you can use pretty much any panniers etc.) but if you need to remove the rack regularly then a beam rack might be useful.

There are two (maybe even three) different designs of Topeak beam rack, check the one you need for your type of bike- I think the information is on their website.

If you need to carry heavy loads they presumably aren't much good.

amrushton

Angelfishsolo said:
So I'd have to keep reassuring it all of the time then?

Sorry, couldn't resist; it is one of those days :eek:

I have a Blackburn one for sale. I'd put a piece of rubber between the clamp and the seatpost (an old Cateye large shim works). Beam racks are useful if you need to take the rack on/off quickly. You can then leave the bag affixed.

Top Bottom