Beanz Meanz Lies..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Let's not forget that this is the same Tesco that was calling for a windfall tax on energy companies because people couldn't afford their shopping without a hint of irony just weeks after announcing they'd made £2bn+ in profits.
I'm no fan of Heinz (a huge conglomerate owned by Berkshire Hathaway), but Tesco's faux outrage is sickening.

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
Let's not forget that this is the same Tesco that was calling for a windfall tax on energy companies because people couldn't afford their shopping without a hint of irony just weeks after announcing they'd made £2bn+ in profits.
I'm no fan of Heinz (a huge conglomerate owned by Berkshire Hathaway), but Tesco's faux outrage is sickening.

And £2bn+ in profits is utterly meaningless. Only used to generate other faux outrage.

They are a massive company, their profits should reflect that. As a percentage of turnover, their profits aren't actually all that great, at around 4-5% for most of the last few years. Not bad, but certainly not excessive.

TBH, until this last quarter, neither have the oil companies profits been any better. But in the last quarter BP had profits of $6.5Bn on revenue of $49Bn, so over 13%

D

Deleted member 26715

Is this not all about price fixing? Yes it's illegal in the UK, does it happen of course it does, did Heinz want Tesco's to sell at the same price as all the other supermarkets, whilst Tesco's wanted to sell a few pence cheaper.

A friend of mine was effectively put out of business for something similar a few years ago, he traded in white goods, no warehouse to speak of he drop shipped the items & the manufacturers even picked up any technical issues.

He was approached by the main manufacturer & told he had to increase his prices to the same as everybody else not the 10% cheaper that he was. He refused & told them they couldn't do that it was illegal to make him price fix. Strangely all his suppliers ran out of stock & wasn't able to fulfil his orders all at the same time, but even stranger still was they had stock for other wholesale customers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Manufacturers, especially the big names will always have the whip hand when it comes to where and who they supply and at what price. Price fixing be dammed.
There is no retailer in the UK or Europe who will supply me here with a Fender guitar, and a good few other makes too.

Alex321

Veteran
Is this not all about price fixing? Yes it's illegal in the UK, does it happen of course it does, did Heinz want Tesco's to sell at the same price as all the other supermarkets, whilst Tesco's wanted to sell a few pence cheaper.
Nope. This was about Heinz wanting to charge Tesco more for the product, and Tesco initially being unwilling t pay the extra. They admittedly were unwilling to pay the extra because they wanted to keep the shelf price low, but Heinz weren't stopping supplies because Tesco were charging less, but because they were paying less.

Nothing to do with price fixing in this case. Though it certainly does go on.

ChrisKz

I would sooner buy cheap beans and smother them in Hammonds sauce . Just bought 9 litres of the stuff .. tastes like how I remember it was I was a kid .Coudn't buy it off the shelf or get any home delivery .. But I found a supplier that is willing to sell to the public ^_^

Top Bottom