Beanz Meanz Lies..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
We have tried a variety of beans including Heinz. Aldi is very good, Waitrose “ Essentials” very good. We routinely add a generous splash of Hendersons Relish to the pan which adds a bit of oomph.

Hendersons Relish ends up in a lot of my savoury recipes

Would you mind explaining how? e.g. post a recipe/method? Thanks
Absolutely! Here's my recipe - I live with a veggie so I tend not to do a meaty one.

First, get some haricot beans. A big supermarket will have them, or some sort of hippy eco-shop. You could buy them at Holland and Barrett if you can afford to remortgage.

These are tough at first, so soak them overnight in a big pan.

Change the water a couple of times, then boil them hard for about 15 minutes - discard any froth on top with a slotted spoon. Drain them, and after that you can put them in a slow cooker with a sauce you made in a frying pan at the same time.

I fry an onion (finely chopped) with a little bit of mixed herbs and some balsamic vinegar with passata/chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. A bit of chilli goes well. If you're not burgerfearing, even some bacon. Hendos is a great thing if you can get it - add what you like really!

Leave them on the lowest setting for a couple of hours (I tend to do mine overnight) then you have nice beans. They freeze but if you cook them too much they turn into mushy beans. I try not to be too prescriptive with times because depending on how long they've been sat they can take a lot longer. You have to leave them until they're right basically, but don't worry too much about time. You have to cook them a very long time to get mush but even if you do they still taste better than anything you'll get in the shops.

That's going to be weekend tea tomorrow, now you've made me think of it. :okay:

midlife

Guru
Have seen Branston beans on the shelf but avoided them as I didn't fancy beans tasting of Branson Pickle.

I guess I have been fooled by the label and they are just baked bean taste?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Amazing how these big leading brands think they can change the recipe of their foods to cut costs and think people won't notice. Some just continue blindly buying what they've always bought not tasting the changes I guess. Many do just buy the brand leader.
Down here the most popular mineral water is Voltic, the brand using the connection to the Volta river region, but it's absolutely disgusting, you can smell the Dettol they add as it's not pure. It's still the leading brand.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've been refusing to pay top dollar for branded beans since the last century. It's a tin of beans in tomato sauce FFS... you either like them or you don't.

Well, yes, sort of.... Since it's only a tin of beans in tomato sauce, why do so many manufacturers, Heinz included, manage to make such an arse of it?
I would rather pay a few pence more (if my preferred brand does cost more than Heinz; I don't actually know) and buy something edible.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Amazing how these big leading brands think they can change the recipe of their foods to cut costs and think people won't notice. Some just continue blindly buying what they've always bought not tasting the changes I guess. Many do just buy the brand leader.
Down here the most popular mineral water is Voltic, the brand using the connection to the Volta river region, but it's absolutely disgusting, you can smell the Dettol they add as it's not pure. It's still the leading brand.

I have not been involved with whisky for some years now and my knowledge is out of date possibly.
Some blenders produce a premium blend which is very good but expensive. After a while some cheaper whisky is introduced into the blend but the price remains the same. This downward trend continues until it gets detected by the buying public and the price comes down to a more realistic level.
No reason why other industries would not do the same like tap water masquerading as pure spring water for example.:whistle:

The whole history of the food industry is manufacturers trying to add things that increase their profits by making the end product cheaper to make. Parliament passed the Aldulteration of Tea Act 1776 in response to tea blenders adding lead and gravel to their tea.

Still, when five companies produce almost everything you can buy the idea of choice starts to go out of the window. How did we get here?

Top Bottom