Bear Valley Chainset problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crackle said:
Here's some pictures of the chainwheels - what's the view?

Well, it's filthy and the bolt has surface rust, but the rings don't look too bad to me.

- do you actually need a new chainset / rings ?
If you clean it all up, lube and presumably fit a new chain, does it work OK ?
If so, I'd stick with this.

As someone else said, the teeth on the chainrings are not all supposed to look the same - some will be sharper-pointed than others, some will appear blunt, some will look like they have 'bits worn out of them'.
They're made like this, it assists with gearchanging, the chain can shift easier across the 'blunter' teeth than the 'pointier' ones.

See the reply from Sheldon Brown, about halfway down here
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-253685.html

What's the cassette like ? You're more likely to wear-out that than the chainrings...

And really, if you fit a new chain and it works with the existing chainrings and cassette, with no jumps or missed shifts, then the chainrings and cassette are fine.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yee haa! Marvin's back on the road. Took Andy's advice and kept the chainset but replaced the rest of the transmission and cleaned the whole lot up. Looks spanking now.

Also replaced the rear dia-compe 747s brake with a plain old Deore which is much better. Gonna get one for the front now and also try one of those Charge Spoon saddles as mine's had it.

Just some final tune-ups on the gears, one more link out the chain and he's good to go.

Top Bottom