Beards & Legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Body hair is a tricky subject and so much to do with convention and what we are used to. In my mind chest hair is the big decider. When you look at that famous picture of a bare chested Putin on horse back do you see masculinity or do you examine why he would remove the hair from his chest that is decidedly feminine IMHO. Bodybuilders remove all body hair as it obscures muscle definition (apparently) but if you can get past the strung orange sausage look I guess you will be fine.
Off the bike you would normally be unaware of a male cyclists legs shaved or not whereas a beard is a choice based on a different criteria.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This is so disappointing. :sad:

Two pages of discussion and yet there are no photos of your suntanned legs @BigonaBianchi. :hello:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Anybody who still thinks leg shaving has anyting to do with aerodynamics or hygiene simply hasn't understood the psychology of the pro rider. Leg shaving is the rite of passage that signifies the entry into the professional world; as Matt Seaton writes in his excellent book The Escape Artist, a cyclist with unshaved legs would be laughed out of the peloton. It's all about purity and asceticism and the look. The most likely practical reason is for massage, where long hairs tug painfully and make life hard for the masseur.

Yes. I was briefly on the very outer margins of the local racing community doing a few time-trials and a bit of 'cross. The season I started taking it a bit more seriously was the season I started shaving my legs. It was a symbol; a statement of intent. I started training more seriously as soon as I'd done it.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I remember once I fell off with lovely smooth legs. Not a mark on them but I did manage to use my (unshaven) face as an emergency brake block. This caused huge hilarity in A and E.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
This is so disappointing. :sad:

Two pages of discussion and yet there are no photos of your suntanned legs @BigonaBianchi. :hello:

IMAG0887.jpg

apologies Guys but the Lady doth HINT :laugh:

:o)xx(:rolleyes:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Have to shave the legs in the spring when the thinner longs come out, otherwise the hairs come through the fabric, and hairy tights is not a good look:thumbsdown:
Otherwise I shave because you do, and always have - and stop just above the shorts line.

Top Bottom