Bearings in headsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Same size as what?

Not an arsy question, but there are so many options in either type that you simply cannot answer that question.

SydZ

Über Member
In short,no.

Either the bearing size, or part number is usually stamped into the bearing and can be used to search for the exact replacement you require.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Don't think proper bearings (eg for threaded headsets) are anything but spherical @SydZ . The balls certainly aren't "stamped" but do come in different diameters and may come caged or not.
Who said anything about "replacement"?
We need Q2 to progress.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think (and I'm assuming a lot here) what the OP might mean is....
If a manufacturer does threaded and threadless versions of the same model of headset, will these use the same bearings?

To which my answer would be... Don't count on it!

Reactions: C R

SydZ

Über Member
Don't think proper bearings (eg for threaded headsets) are anything but spherical @SydZ . The balls certainly aren't "stamped" but do come in different diameters and may come caged or not.
Who said anything about "replacement"?
We need Q2 to progress.
Yes. I should have been clear I was referring to modern threadless headsets

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope. If you are lucky, you'll still have the details printed on the side of the bearing, number etc. If not, you'll need to do some googling.

midlife

Guru
My headset of choice back in the days of quill stems. I never wore one out and I don't think I ever had to even adjust one. I used to regard ball bearings as the work of Satan before threadless came along.
Would that be the Stronglight A9? :smile:

Top Bottom