Bearings size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CyclingStone

I am highly appreciative if someone has nput on this one. But please refrain from telling me what a headset, fork or even bike if you don't know. I have always thought that having the actual numbers is the best thing you can have but today I have been told to measure it and all kind of things. But I have the numbers! So maybe you know.

It says: "
P16(⌀52x7x45°) " on the UPPER bearing which means P16=double sealed 52=outer diameter 7=width and 45 is the degree. I get this. I also found this from the manufacturer. This is alibaba crap which came with the bike, it roasted pretty quickly. I want some bearings from someone else than alibaba and I therefore need to know if I can replace them and most importantly with that.

Size:1-1/8,1-1/2 integrated headset
Crown:7075/T6 CNC (OD ø33X45)
Cartridge Ball Bearing:CBB-418
OD ø41.8X45X45
OD ø52x45x45

Top cover:6061/T CNC with rubber O ring
Material:6061/T6 CNC machined top cover
Steel crown Race
Type:For Carbon Fork"

Thanks! But please do not tell me that I need to take off the old ones and put on new ones if I want to replace them.....
My question: Do I need to find a upper bearing which is 52x7x45 with 45degrees and that's it? Is 45/45 the same as this? Because there are a lot of (36/45degrees) on the internet.

Edit: I am sorry about this long post but it sadly seems like you need to state these things because I have only got strange answers the whole day about this topic. If someone could educate me so I maybe can understand what these numbers mean. Because like I said not knowing yourself and still getting it right seems impossible when it comes to bikes. Either I can replace it or I can't if I can I want to know with WHAT.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
You should be able to find what you are looking for here I think.

As far as I understand it you need a 45/45 bearing, but I've not had to replace headset cartridge bearings yet so it's not really something I'm that familiar with. Somebody else might be able to weigh in.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Maybe give your local bearing supplier (or even an online one) and ask them - they will have expertise and experience and will probably be able to send / sell you there exact bearing that you need.

Ajax Bay

Guru
But please refrain from telling me what a headset, fork or even bike if you don't know.
Sentences need verbs. Hope you'll appreciate this "nput" though can't help with the bearings. Fortunately I do know what a headset, fork and a bike are: if I didn't I'd refrain from "telling" you. I also recognise condescension (see OP, and hope capability is mutual). Pictures are probably easier than words. (NB This marvellous forum is Cyclechat.)
1653034998196.png

1653035133064.png

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Maybe give your local bearing supplier (or even an online one) and ask them - they will have expertise and experience and will probably be able to send / sell you there exact bearing that you need.

And you think that would work? The few shops online I have asked have been clueless and come to the conclusion that they do not have them

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
OD ø41.8X45X45

This is the dimensions of an IS42 headset cartridge. The IS stands for Integrated System as in integrated headsets where the headset is shaped so you can drop cartridge straight in, after applying a bit of light grease to prevent seizing.

Plenty sell them online.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
And you think that would work? The few shops online I have asked have been clueless and come to the conclusion that they do not have them

Maybe I'm lucky that we have a bearing sales place local. They are very knowledgable and have helped me in the past. And if they cock up they are happy to exchange bearings etc with no hassle.

Jody

Stubborn git

Mate supplies bearing. 1 text and he advised they are easy to come by.

Speak to your local bearing supplier and they will be able to help. Online shops won't be arsed.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

How do you measure the height? IS it the total height of the bearing. Only thing I am confused about now is if it is 8cm or 6.5 cm ,

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
For someone who sounds annoyed by inaccurate answers, I have to say, you're all over the place with your question. 5 paragraphs and for the life of me I don't know what you know and don't understand what information are you looking for.

For headsets, retailers usually list the headset type (IS-integrated, ZS-zero stack, EC-external cup), internal and external diameter of the bearing, external diameter of the crown/top cover, stack height and the two angles of bearing tapers.

Idiot-proof answer:
- if you took out a bearing, simply measure the characteristics listed above and replace it with an identical one.
- if you don't know how to do the above, go to a bike shop and pay someone who knows what they're doing.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

For someone who sounds annoyed by inaccurate answers, I have to say, you're all over the place with your question. 5 paragraphs and for the life of me I don't know what you know and don't understand what information are you looking for.

For headsets, retailers usually list the headset type (IS-integrated, ZS-zero stack, EC-external cup), internal and external diameter of the bearing, external diameter of the crown/top cover, stack height and the two angles of bearing tapers.

Idiot-proof answer:
- if you took out a bearing, simply measure the characteristics listed above and replace it with an identical one.
- if you don't know how to do the above, go to a bike shop and pay someone who knows what they're doing.

1. It's stuck
2. Bad answer, honestly. Nobody can ever learn to do anything by themselves. People like you have said that stupid answer since day one in my bike career, go to a bike shop get your tire changed, go to your bike shop get your chain changed go to .... Today I can do almost everything on the bike... without that bike shop..

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
1. It's stuck
2. Bad answer, honestly. Nobody can ever learn to do anything by themselves. People like you have said that stupid answer since day one in my bike career, go to a bike shop get your tire changed, go to your bike shop get your chain changed go to .... Today I can do almost everything on the bike... without that bike shop..
If it's stuck then how do you plan to replace it even if you buy the right spare? If you plan to unstuck it - why not do it now?

If you know everything, why are you asking for help? Just looking at two of your sentences - one asking if 36 degrees is the same as 45 degrees and the other one saying that 'IS' is the marking of the bearing height, I can see you're completely clueless.

Waste of time.

Ajax Bay

Guru
1. It's stuck
So is this bearing to one you said exactly a year ago was absolutely cr@p (and came to this community for advice; which you judged useless)? Is the fork you thought was forked a year ago still going, despite the scratches?
Are you riding this bike outside now or is it still just on the turbo? I expect you know that headsets suffer from corrosion unless protected on a turbo.
How do you measure the height? IS it the total height of the bearing. Only thing I am confused about now is if it is 8cm or 6.5 cm ,
https://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

So is this bearing to one you said exactly a year ago was absolutely cr@p (and came to this community for advice; which you judged useless)? Is the fork you thought was forked a year ago still going, despite the scratches?
Are you riding this bike outside now or is it still just on the turbo? I expect you know that headsets suffer from corrosion unless protected on a turbo.

https://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

The bike is withstanding great forces (outside).

Look, the situation wasn't even close to this bad last time I asked, now it's bad. That's why I am asking but I am pretty sure I get the standards now and I have asked a few shops so I am hopeful that the matter will get resolved. IF the bearings will keep being stuck, I will obviously ask for help. This is not rocket science.

Top Bottom