Beater bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mightyquin

Just wondering who has a beater bike and where it fits in your fleet?

A couple of months ago I started looking for a new bike. I have an old Raleigh MTB in the garage which hasn't been used for a few years and, long story short, I bought a Kona Paddywagon for commuting and general running about.

A friend heard I was looking for a bike and offered me one which had been abandoned at his place. I went and had a look and it was a Decathlon Rockrider MTB, clearly low spec (no name gears!) and bloody heavy, but it was free. Covered in dust/dirt and with the tyres hanging off the wheels, but looked hardly used, I took it home and stuck it in the garage.

I managed to spend time at the weekend on it, good clean, lube, new tyres and tubes fitted and ran it around the block. The gears aren't great but they work, I don't think they're indexed properly and could do with some adjustment, and the back brake doesn't want to centre properly so its rubbing a little. But as it cost me a total of £15 I think it can be my beater, bike trail bike, pub bike. I definately won't worry about getting it stolen!

I have thought of converting it to single speed, although I was thinking of using the Raleigh for that. I do need a bike with gears to run alongside the Paddywagon, so my quandry is plod along with the Decathlon, restore the Raleigh (has Shimano comps), or wait until I can afford another bike - new MTB, hybrid or Cyclo cross.... But I really don't need 4 bikes! Or do I?

Attachments

• decathlon.JPG
    decathlon.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 113
I cannot ride a beater bike in town. It's only the value of my bikes which prevents me from throwing them at cars.

frank9755

Cyclist
Mines a 25 year-old Super Galaxy. A fair bit of rust on it, mudguards held on with cable ties, and it looks un-trendy but is nice to ride.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For a while there was this one, usually with rack and 'guards though. I gave it away to someone who now commutes on it (and never cleans or oils it- arrgh!)

P9170084.jpg

Then there was this one but I gave away the frame and sold a few bits to someone on this forum. Maybe it looks too smart to be a beater, but it was- the rear mech cost me a penny, the front wheel cost more than the rest of the bike. Some of the bits (front wheel, levers, 'guards) ended up on my current commuter which isn't really a beater bike as it's a two year old Spesh Singlecross.

RIMG0001.jpg

corshamjim

Mine is a Dahon D7 folder which I bought off someone who kept it on a boat so it's needed a fair bit of work. It's a horrible colour and attracts disparaging remarks from the kids at the skate-park which I cycle past on my way home. It rides ok though - I did a 70k sportive in Devon on it last year as at the time we had no bike-rack on the car..

Tour-Ride-20100905.jpe

Top Bottom