Avoiding stolen bikes / Safe ways to pay ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been looking for a 2nd hand bike to do up / add to my collection and realise I don't know the up to date ways of checking to make sure the bikes I view are not stolen.

- What are the best ways of protecting myself and not encouraging the theft market?'

- Recommended safe ways of paying for a bike? I am not keen on bank transfer as I don't have internet banking.

- Are there any other legal / financial problems I should be aware of when viewing and purchasing 2nd hand?

I am already checking out Council supported community bike hubs, but am a little more cautious of independent 'community' bike projects run by only 1 or 2 individuals, perhaps I am being paranoid with this. I have recently bought a pub/shopping bike to do up a bit more from a council backed sales place, they had so many volunteers I thought it would be difficult to do dodgy deals as likely someone would call it out, also they make a thing about checking to make sure donated bikes are legitimate. Unfortunately the nicer bikes all seem to be sold by private individuals, making payment more complex and risks higher - I really don't want to accidentally purchase someone elses stolen treasure, not only for legal grounds but because I know how emotionally attached to bikes people can become.

Thanks for any advice.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Request the frame numbers and and check them against the two online theft databases - I think one is bike register; there's another too but I forget what it's called.

If the seller is unwilling to give you the frame number that should set alarm bells ringing, while if they do and it's not listed than I'd suggest that's about the most due dilligence you can achieve; other than being mindful of any obvious alarm bells.

As a buyer the only "safe" way to pay remotely is Paypal "goods and services". Paypal gift and bank transfers leave you open to being scammed. Presumably you'll be collecting the bike though, so what's wrong with cash on collection?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Ask them if they have the receipt for the original purchase if bought new? Pay by cash and ask for a receipt yourself as well.
I think if you are that worried about being scammed you may be better off buying a new one? Plenty of choice and deals available.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Good on you; not everyone takes care to avoid supporting bike theft.

As others have said dodgy people will often give themselves away if asked about serial numbers and receipts. I recently had someone hang up on me when I politely asked about a bike's history.

I did once buy a bike using Gumtree with unknown history and often wondered if someone would demand their bike back when I was out on a ride. That could have spoilt a day out!

Last edited:
I think if you are that worried about being scammed you may be better off buying a new one?
Been looking around at new ones too, but not many in my budget. Even average alu drop bar bikes not knocked about (to be found at bike restoration projects to rehabilitate people and become mechanics etc) seem to start at £350 and prices in general quicky soar to over £1000 depending on 2nd hand bike type, interesting as most of the bikes are donated to such places for free.

So far I have avoided internet ads from private sellers (sounds a bit dubious written out, that!) but am thinking I may have to consider them or just not buy anything and see how prices go (up I suspect). I can take my time as I am not without bike access :-) and looking is part of the fun and learning process.

As I have mentioned a few times on here, bike prices generally have become obscene both new and 2nd hand and are impossible to justify, no matter what bike journalists try to excuse.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Been looking around at new ones too, but not many in my budget. Even average alu drop bar bikes not knocked about (to be found at bike restoration projects to rehabilitate people and become mechanics etc) seem to start at £350 and prices in general quicky soar to over £1000 depending on 2nd hand bike type, interesting as most of the bikes are donated to such places for free.

So far I have avoided internet ads from private sellers (sounds a bit dubious written out, that!) but am thinking I may have to consider them or just not buy anything and see how prices go (up I suspect). I can take my time as I am not without bike access :-) and looking is part of the fun and learning process.

As I have mentioned a few times on here, bike prices generally have become obscene both new and 2nd hand and are impossible to justify, no matter what bike journalists try to excuse.

Try Halfords, they have drop bar bikes at a reasonable cost. As long as they are set up right they are good budget bikes. Put an advert on here asking as well?
Have you asked at your local clubs if anyone has anything suitable? I sold a bike to a guy when he was asking around what anyone had.

vickster

Legendary Member
Decathlon and Go Outdoors another option for reasonably priced road bikes, Merlin (if ok to buy online) often have reductions too on lesser known/older models. Depends what spec you want, if happy with rim/mech disc brakes and Claris/Sora it’ll be easier to get under £1k new than if wanting a big brand, hydraulic discs and 105 where the groupset alone is over £500 retail.
eg for under £500
https://www.merlincycles.com/wizard-lighting-33-disc-sora-road-bike-240454.html
https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-broam-60-claris-gravel-bike-boxed-309134.html
There’s also generally more choice if an average 5’7-6ft in height (although not the above)

Last edited:
It’s the usual saying “if it’s too good to be true it probably is!”

When car hunting I found that almost all Facebook adverts were fake so I started to check that the profiles were active with postings and not added 3/4 months ago with a stolen picture and would ask questions to gauge more about the car.

When looking at bikes I avoid the ones with no specifics or details about the frame size, running gear, condition etc. If you cannot be bothered to detail the bike in the advert then I’ll pass.

average 5’7-6ft in height
5'4", inside leg 29"
women (iirc OP is female)
Well remembered!

I need to go try a few to see about cross bar height, as I am not sure how to guesstimate it well.

I have mostly had unisex frames (mini velo) or sloping top tubes of mountain bike frames.

I have a very old design of MTB that was a 21" frame with a high flat crossbar, OK other than if I stopped I had to roll it over to one side unless I wanted a pain filled experience on the crossbar. Don't fancy having to lean to one side if panniered. If wondering why I had such a big frame, it was bought new as an urgent purchase due to circumstances and was about half the going price. It came from Halfords about 20 or so years back. Other than the side roll to stop, I was OK with the rest of the frame etc even though it was quite big. It was flat bar.

Top Bottom