Beautiful morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisW

John Ponting said:
Jacomus could be a mature student?

Correct! Lets ask him.

Jacomus, are you a mature student? Or just the average 17/18 year old struggling through bloody A levels like some of us did one or two years ago?

bonj2

Anyhow, I was out on the mtb today and saw a LOT of other people about... the countryside was parked up with cars and there were loads of MTBers, loads of roadies and lots of hikers with those funny pointy sticks with a disc on the end. And lots of pesky dog walkers further in towards the park (grrr :rolleyes:) I even got a couple of nods from roadies!! :rolleyes: This was about 7 miles out of town. I've come to the conclusion that roadies round here come in two types, the ones that do it mainly just to have an excuse to dress up in fancy gear and to look cool on the road, these are the sort that only venture about three miles out and just cycle down the arterial routes and round the districts and then get bored and go home. They never nod, because they think they're too cool. Then there's the real roadies, who actually do it for the cycling and who are happy to give a nod, because they're not constantly worried about being upstaged by someone who might just have a more expensive bike than them.

bonj2

ChrisW said:
Bonj, never mind "Bloody hell your camera's good"..

What about "Bloody hell, you're off to Uni!", that makes Jacomus less than half my age... *Nashing of teeth and much jealousy*

i hope you're not implying jacomus is half MY age? he might be half yours mate.
But he's clearly almost as old as me. only i'm not a stude.

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

bonj said:
I've come to the conclusion that roadies round here come in two types, the ones that do it mainly just to have an excuse to dress up in fancy gear and to look cool on the road, these are the sort that only venture about three miles out and just cycle down the arterial routes and round the districts and then get bored and go home. They never nod, because they think they're too cool. Then there's the real roadies, who actually do it for the cycling and who are happy to give a nod, because they're not constantly worried about being upstaged by someone who might just have a more expensive bike than them.

A wave / nod and a smile is always nice, it is especially nice when the other cyclist doesn't seem to expect it, but still waves back.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
which needless to say, btw, I neither see the point in nor agree with.

Apparantly they are an effective hiking aid. without them all the work is walking (i.e. in the legs)
Using these things PROPERLY a proportion of work is transferred to the arms and upper body.

(I remember reading an article when they started to become popular)

bonj2

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
A wave / nod and a smile is always nice, it is especially nice when the other cyclist doesn't seem to expect it, but still waves back.

that's exactly it - i saw a roadie and wasn't expecting a nod, and i think he was quite amused by my nod in return which was a mix of being friendly as possible while unable to stifle my raised eyebrows of surprise :rolleyes:

oh and by the way, it's a cycle 'pAth', not a cycle 'parrrrrth' :rolleyes: :biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
I've come to the conclusion that roadies round here come in two types, the ones that do it mainly just to have an excuse to dress up in fancy gear and to look cool on the road, these are the sort that only venture about three miles out and just cycle down the arterial routes and round the districts and then get bored and go home. They never nod, because they think they're too cool. Then there's the real roadies, who actually do it for the cycling and who are happy to give a nod, because they're not constantly worried about being upstaged by someone who might just have a more expensive bike than them.

One of the things I like about commuting. Theres no 'right' bike for it, so no real snobbery.

bonj2

gambatte said:
Apparantly they are an effective hiking aid. without them all the work is walking (i.e. in the legs)
Using these things PROPERLY a proportion of work is transferred to the arms and upper body.

(I remember reading an article when they started to become popular)

(fangled new-age gadget if you ask me.):rolleyes:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
oh and by the way, it's a cycle 'pAth', not a cycle 'parrrrrth' :rolleyes: :biggrin:

After your ride today, you could have popped into the Fox and seen if there were any southerners, drinking a 'cap' of tea

:rolleyes:

bonj2

gambatte said:
One of the things I like about commuting. Theres no 'right' bike for it, so no real snobbery.

True. Although I'd hate to think how long my commute (23 miles :rolleyes:) to my new job would take on my MTB what with the fatness of tyres i've got on it. A phrase involving the words 'like', 'cutting', 'down', 'forest', 'nail' and 'scissors' springs to mind :rolleyes:

Top Bottom