Because I like it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The customary Taffy "Oright Butt?" will suffice for me.

Slioch

Guru
I only lift a little finger in acknowledgement when I scalp some nobber wearing full team kit and riding a £2k plus bike.

So not very often...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Enthusiastic waving is the mark of an amateur. A slight nod of the head or a raised finger or, if overtaking, a polite greeting is all that's needed.

Drivers of proper square Land Rovers already know that a laconic raise of one finger off the steering wheel is about the most enthusiastic gesture allowed.

Because if you raise more than one digit off of the wheel, when wrestling those things, you are in the ditch, instantly.

I nearly always say hello, but there are too many potholes round our way to be waving my arms about.

Reactions: mjr

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Or any type of 3-wheeled
Reliant.
DAMHIKT.

Yup, my first car, used to lean over to the toggle switch to flash the lights to oncoming Tupperware Tripods.

Whenever I see an incredibly attractive cyclist expertly handling their beautifully crafted bike whilst maintaining exceptionally high speeds I’ll wave to a fellow Londoner.

Gratuitous waving is for politicians revving up for an election or someone drowning, trying to attract a life-guard's attention. I might grant another cyclist a cursive glare if they dare to have a better bike than mine or are wearing the wrong kit. But that's it.
Imagine if we all wave all the time? We'd be like a bloody planet full of those Land Rover Defender drivers who constantly acknowledge each other like fellow brothers in suffering.
As it is, I live in a place where the roads are single-lane and passing only happens at passing places. These passing places are torture, with both parties apparently required to wave and grovel like freshly-saved puppies from a Korean restaurant's larder.
No, screw waving.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Gratuitous waving is for politicians revving up for an election or someone drowning, trying to attract a life-guard's attention. I might grant another cyclist a cursive glare if they dare to have a better bike than mine or are wearing the wrong kit. But that's it.
Imagine if we all wave all the time? We'd be like a bloody planet full of those Land Rover Defender drivers who constantly acknowledge each other like fellow brothers in suffering.
As it is, I live in a place where the roads are single-lane and passing only happens at passing places. These passing places are torture, with both parties apparently required to wave and grovel like freshly-saved puppies from a Korean restaurant's larder.
No, screw waving.

I live in the country too, where narrow lanes require a lot of reversing, and making way.

We do at least raise a finger in acknowledgement of other road users courtesy.
(the polite finger raise - 2" off the steering wheel. ) Particularly in recognition of a 500yd reverse.

It would seem churlish not to.

I live in the country too, where narrow lanes require a lot of reversing, and making way.

We do at least raise a finger in acknowledgement of other road users courtesy.
(the polite finger raise - 2" off the steering wheel. ) Particularly in recognition of a 500yd reverse.

It would seem churlish not to.
Of course I do, but I'll never admit it in public. It'll mess with my image.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When I first joined the AA, the nice chap on a motorcycle used to salute me as he chugged past.
Not any more, though, as I'm with Green Flag.

Top Bottom